Chapter 20

"Meeting Henry?" Gwen said from behind me, startling me.

"What?" I spun around, feeling automatically guilty. And then I felt stupid for feeling guilty. I definitely wasn't doing anything wrong and my babysitters were twenty feet back.

Gwen laughed. "You were humming," she said. "And you've seemed pretty happy lately."

Unable to help it, I smiled. I really had been happy.

"You like him, don't you?" Gwen asked, looking giddy.

"Well, I..." I glanced around the hall to make sure no one could hear our conversation. Thankfully, the guards were even far enough away.

"Don't try to deny it. I know you do," she accused.

"Fine." I smiled. "I do."

"See? And you thought he was awful."

"I know. I was wrong. I didn't get to know him before I made up my mind."

Gwen looked smug and I could practically hear her thinking, I told you so.

"But I was completely right about the other two," I said quickly.

"Oh, who cares about them?" She waved her hand dismissively. "Tell me about Henry. What's he like?"

"Why don't you come find out?" I said.

"Really? I can?"

Gwen had mostly forgiven me for lying to her before, but I knew she still felt hurt that I hadn't included her. Plus, I kind of did want her to get to know Henry.

I nodded. "For a few minutes."

"Okay!" she agreed.

"I mean it," I said, knowing Gwen was quick to make promises and almost as quick to break them if the situation presented itself. "After you talk to him for a few minutes, you leave us alone. Even if he invites you to join us."

Gwen rolled her eyes dramatically. "Fine, fine." She grabbed my hand and began pulling me down the hall. "Let's go."

When we reached the stables, Henry was waiting as he said he'd be. Annabelle and Eclipse were standing calmly, saddled and ready to go. Again I was amazed by the way he'd gotten Eclipse to trust him. Accepting food and attention was one thing, but almost no one but Papa could actually ride him.

"Hi," Henry said when we stopped in front of him.

"Hi," I said. "You know my sister, Gwen?"

Henry nodded and smiled. "The one who hates dancing?"

Gwen looked at me, perplexed. She loved dancing.

It took me a second to remember that I told him that particular lie and I blushed a little bit.

Henry laughed. "I take it that you don't actually hate dancing?"

"Oh no, I love it," Gwen said and then seemed to really notice the horses. "You're riding Eclipse?" she asked, stunned.

Henry nodded. "If he'll let me. I haven't actually tried yet."

Gwen seemed fairly impressed.

"Are you joining us?" Henry asked. "I can have another horse saddled."

In addition to wanting to have Gwen get to know him a little bit, I was curious about how he would react when I showed up with her. Apparently, he didn't mind.

Gwen gave me a pleading look and I conveniently failed to notice.

"No," she grumbled. "I just wanted to visit the horses."