Chapter 10

~Thought it would be about time to show you David

"Christmas! Christmas time is here! Time for joy and time for cheer!"

I woke up to the sound of David singing. I slowly climbed out of bed and Zombie walked down the hallway.

"What time is it?" I asked David once I found him in the kitchen.

"Eight O'clock," he smiled as I rubbed my eyes.

"I am making bacon and pancakes. If you would like you could get us some drinks and get out the plates and silverware," he suggested.

I walked to the cabinet and got out the familiar Disney cup. I looked at it and then at David, "Why did you keep this?"

"I had a feeling you would be coming back," he smiled at the bacon.

I climbed off the counter with the two cups in hand. I set them on the counter and set off to get plates and forks.

Five minutes later, we sat down to eat. Again I smiled at my plate of Chocolate chip pancakes and crispy bacon. I smiled at David and grabbed his hands, bowed my head, and closed my eyes.

I drenched my pancakes with syrup and butter. I couldn't wait to devour it. I cut my pancake and shoved the first bite in.

"Mmmm. Sooo good," I said through a mouthful of pancake.

David laughed, "So you like them," I nodded vigorously before stuffing another piece into my mouth.

I took a sip of my apple juice to wash it all down. I looked at my plate and then decided to try the bacon. I picked up a piece and stuck it into my mouth. The crispy bacon crunched under the wrath of my teeth. My mouth fuelled with the flavor of the bacon and pancakes.

I was sad to have eaten the last bite of my pancake, but I knew my stomach was pleased.

I smiled when we walked into the living room. The tree filled the corner by the couch. It's lights lit up the whole room reflecting off the walls.

Three days ago, David had taken me to pick out a tree. I picked the fattest tree I could. I explained to David that I chose it because the fatter the tree the bigger the heart it has and more determined it was to live.

"Americus, you're a smart girl," he had told me.

We brought the tree home and set it up. After putting the lights on, we worked on putting up the ornaments. David lifted me up so I could place the star on top.

Yeah sure, it wasn't the best tree and there might have been more ornaments in the middle of the tree because I couldn't reach any higher, but it was still the most beautiful tree in my eyes.

It was the first time I had ever decorated a tree or celebrated Christmas; it was exciting.

David walked around me to sit on the couch while I admired the beauty.

"You can open your presents now," I smiled and looked at him as he said this.

I then ran over and grabbed the biggest box there. I ripped off the paper and found a box. I opened that box to find another box. Inside that box, I found another box. I looked at David confused.

"There's only one more box inside that," he smiled at me.

I opened the final box and found a red collar and a note that read: Go to the front door.

I went to the door and opened it to find the best thing in the world. A dog. He looked just like Benji. My smile reached from ear to ear as I walked back into the living room with my new puppy.

David smiled back at me, "What are you going to name her?"

"It's a her?" I frowned.

"Yes, but she is just as loving," he reassured me.

I looked my puppy in the eyes, "Delilah."

David looked at me shocked, "What uh... makes you pick that name?"

"I don't know, but it's cute," I smiled as Delilah licked my face.

David looked uncomfortable as I unwrapped a couple more gifts. I was on my last box when I noticed David looked very excited about this one.

I opened the box to find the most gorgeous necklace. It was a simple, silver cross necklace. I ran over to him and had him place it around my neck.

 I ran over to him and had him place it around my neck

I admired the necklace for a bit. Then it hit me. I ran down the hall leaving David in the living room. I grabbed the thing off my desk and ran back out to David. I showed it into his face.

"What is this?" he asked.

"I made it for you," I smiled happily.

He opened it and looked at the necklace I made for him and then pulled out the picture I had drawn. The picture was of David, Meghan, and I standing outside and in the clouds, you could see a dog looking down at us.

I was proud of my drawing. David got up and walked into the kitchen. I followed him.

"Artwork like this needs to be displayed," he grabbed a magnet and hung it on the fridge.

"We better get ready for today. I need to put the ham in the oven. We both need to get changed. Delilah needs to be taken outside, there's a leash by the door that you can use. Then we need to clean before Meghan comes tonight," I nodded at his words and ran to get started.

I was so excited for that night that I hadn't even heard a car pull into the driveway. David and I were in the kitchen when the doorbell rang. David went first to open the door.

With a rag in hand, he unlocked the door and opened it.

"Whoa," David and I said at the same exact time.

We stood there for an eternity as David gaped at what stood in the doorway in front of him.

I smiled at the scene in front of me. This day was getting better and better.