Chapter 17

~The kind of dress I imagined Americus wearing

This week was going to suck. Enough said.

Since David and Meghan left last night for their honeymoon I was shipped off to another foster home. 

It was much cleaner than Gene and Iris. The people seemed nicer than Ally. There was just something about their actions that reminded me of Grant and  Cheryl. 

It wasn't the fact that they invited me to church, but the fact that they seemed uncomfortable around me. 

I started the countdown for when Meghan and David would come for me again. 

Sunday came fast and I was excited to be on my way home. Back to David and Meghan and Delilah. 

Whenever we pulled up to the house I was shocked to see a new car in the driveway. 

Meghan had arrived at approximately nine this morning. I was packed and ready to go. It may have been rude but I was ready to go home. 

We got out of the car and made our way to the house. When I opened the door Delilah greeted me with one of her bear hugs. I laughed as she showered me with her slimy kisses. 

"David! I'm home!" I called through the house.

David peeked out from behind the door with a nervous smile, "Americus, there is someone here to see you."

I set down my stuff and shuffled into the kitchen. A woman sat at the table. She looked tired, dark bags were under her eyes. She was pretty nonetheless, but it was something about her that was familiar. 

"Hi," with the one word out of her mouth and the story unfolded. 

There was no way I was staying here. She was the second to last person on this Earth that I wanted to see. 

I stared at her for a second more then the anger filled me and I fled the room with Delilah at my heels. I slammed my bedroom door and landed on my bed. I willed myself not to cry and hid my face in the smooth fur that had been laid beside me. 

There was a knock at the door, David opened the door, and his voice asked if I was alright. I curled deeper into Delilah as the door creaked open. I wasn't in the mood to talk. 

I laid still as David filled the silence, "I know you recognize her." When I didn't say anything he continued, "She just wants to talk to you."

At this, I spoke three words that said all the truth, "I hate her."

David stiffened, "You don't mean that. She's your mother." 

I looked at him for the first time since he walked in, "Yeah she is, but she never acted like one." 

David looked to the door and I followed his gaze as the women left the doorway. She must've approached without me noticing. I looked down at Delilah and silently pet her.

David took it as his time to leave. With his back to me, he said, "Meghan and I have something to tell you."

I waited until he was out of sight to lay back down and shove my face into the fur again. I laid there for a couple of minutes making sure she was gone before I rose from my bed and slunk down the hallway.

I found the newlyweds in the kitchen at the table in a state of distress. They seemed to become more distressed as I entered the room. 

"Americus, we have to tell you some news," Meghan said as her voice cracked.

"What is it?" the fear rising in my voice. 

"Your father was in an accident," David said in a low voice.

"And..." my voice cracked this time.

"He didn't make it," Meghan said in a whisper.

I didn't know what to say. I had never met this man, but I had always meant to meet him and never imagined that he would die before I could meet him. As much as I wanted details I couldn't stay in that room any longer, it felt like the air was getting thinner and thinner.

"I'm going to take Delilah for a walk," I said grabbing the leash and hooking her up.

I made my way out of the house and down the sidewalk. I walked a little way thinking to myself and trying not to think that I would never meet my real father and ask him about what he did.

I heard someone's heavy steps catching up to me. I started to speed up thinking that it was David trying to make me come home so they could talk to me. The steps behind me picked up, too. I slowly started into a jog. The steps were getting louder and closer. 

I felt a hand land on my shoulder. I jumped and gave a little scream. The person put their other hand over my mouth. 

"Why'd you run?" the man said.

He removed his hand. "Malachi?" I questioned him. 

"I thought I recognized you. Are you okay you seemed a little upset?"

"I'm fine."

He looked me in the eyes. I held his gaze until I couldn't tell if I was going to cry or not.

"Let's walk. It will calm you down," he moved in the direction of my house. I quickly fell into step beside him. 

"You don't have to tell me why you're upset if you don't want to," he told me after a couple of minutes of walking in silence. 

I stopped walking and truly looked at him. I soaked in all his features: his gorgeous blonde locks, his blue eyes, his slim figure, and his quirky smile. 

He noticed I stopped walking and turned back to me, "What?"

"I want to take you somewhere." We both turned and headed in the other direction. 

He fell in step with me this time as I led him to a special place. We walked for an hour. I smiled as we made the last turn and the place came into view. 

I smiled and walked faster as we approached.