Chapter 2

Newt

Newt bounced eagerly on his good leg, antsy for the metal door handle to melt away so he can be reunited with his love. One of the professional welders took over the job so that as soon as the door was opened, Newt could rush inside.

Many restless seconds passed with bright sparks flying both outside and inside the car before a loud clink was heard, and the door was pushed open.

Thomas went in first to spot Minho among the kids. He walked down the center aisle, scanning each kids face for a familiar girl or boy. Newt walked quickly behind him, the smile on his face being wiped away when Thomas stopped at the end of the train car.

"They're not here." Thomas had a hard time relaying the news, especially when he saw the determined look Newt had wither away in a matter of seconds. They all missed (Y/N) and Minho but that doesn't mean anybody missed her the way Newt did.

The ringing in Newt's ears overshadowed the calming reassurance the Right Arm members were giving to the rescued kids. Apologizing, Newt slipped past everyone in the car until he hopped off, limping away from the main part of the camp. 

A lot of time had passed before anyone could find where Newt had run off to. Sonya found the boy sitting on a rock looking out over the crystal water. The crashing waves put his mind at ease but his heart was still in pieces.

"Hey," Sonya greeted her brother nervously, not wanting to anger or upset him further than he already was. He was a gentleman after all, so he gave her a tightlipped smile as she sat down beside him.

"She was so close," Newt commented after a while of silence. "She was on that train and I failed to save her."

"Newt, you can't blame yourself for this. You tried as hard as you could to rescue her but WICKED got the better of us. We'll try again." Sonya's hand gently rubbed up and down his back, a gesture that truly reminded Newt that she was his sister.

Newt pulled the necklace from his pocket, routinely rubbing his fingers against the shell. He took a few seconds before looking at her. "This is impossible, Sonya. We have nothing against WICKED and they've proved for the last six months that we don't stand a chance against their weapons and their bloody army. I can't get her back."

"Hey." Rather forcefully, Sonya directed all of his attention on her, like she was about the make the grand speech before the hero would run off into the battle field. "We were able to recuse 50 kids off that train an hour ago. We were severely outnumbered and out... aged, but we did it. We didn't save who we wanted but we showed them that we are fighting and that we have a chance. WICKED will let their guard down eventually but we are not giving up so that when they do, we'll be ready to take them down. I'm not giving up on rescuing her. And she wouldn't want you to either."

Their relationship was in the process of being rebuilt so Sonya felt that Newt needed some time alone with the small speech she just gave him. Later tonight, she would come back to check on him but he was alright for right now. With a kiss to his head, Sonya walked towards the new group of kids the Right Arm had saved from WICKED.

Another bit of time passed before a sudden panic rolled over the camp. People ran under cover and suddenly, every light was switched off until the entire camp was engulfed in darkness, the camp taking the role of being deserted. This wasn't the first close call but the whirring of berg blades was new, meaning they were getting closer and closer to where they were hiding; sometime soon, they might be found.

Newt pulled a silver ring from his pocket before bringing it up to his lips, kissing the cold metal. "I'm not giving up on you, my love. I'll find you."