Chapter 13

* Sorry it took me a week to post! School killed me this week but I'm here now *

Brenda, Gally and Minho were able to get Newt and (Y/N) quickly out of the city. (Y/N) fought them for only two blocks before calming down enough to run on her own towards the berg that was awaiting them. Gally and Minho carried Newt together across the city and set him down gently once they arrived at the berg.

(Y/N) faded out all of the other's conversations as she sat beside Newt, setting him in her lap. Though she could feel the berg moving, she ignored it and focused her attention on the boy before her. She found lying on the floor a ripped piece of cloth and she used it to wipe the blood from Newt's neck and mouth. He tossed and turned in his sleep but didn't make any other clue that he was waking up.

Once his mouth was wiped clean, (Y/N) discarded the rag and brought Newt closer to her chest. Her hand ran through his hair, twirling and brushing away the pieces. She had almost lost him but now that he was cured, she couldn't ever be parted from him again. They were on their way to the Safe Haven where they could live happily together like they wanted.

-----

Newt awoke a day later. He first noticed the sound of flowing water, the ocean waves crashing against the sand in a repeated pattern. He then realized he was alive and healthy without a single trace of the Flare virus left in his system. There wasn't a single itching or burning of his skin and it nearly brought tears to his eyes.

Lastly, Newt realized there was a weight pressed to his stomach. Upon looking down, he saw his girl sleeping soundlessly on top of his stomach, one of her hands curled around his leg and the other holding up her cheek. A smile spread across his face as he saw her but it left just as quickly.

The memories of the Flare were new so they were vivid in his mind. He could replay them, every scene of him attacking the girl he loves and every moment where he lost complete control over his body. Newt had become a monster but he was lucky his friends were there to save him.

His hands moved down to slide into her hair where he slowly brushed his fingers through. She stirred slightly before waking up, only needing a second to realize Newt was awake.

She called his name as she fell into his chest, her face buried in his neck and arms attempting to wrap around his body. He could feel her tears dampening his skin so he shushed her gently to remind her that he was alive and here with her.

"How are you feeling?" She pulled back and placed her hand against his cheek. In the past day, (Y/N) had kept an eye on Newt the entire time but she couldn't know exactly how he was feeling until he was awake.

The boy beamed up at her, his heart warming that she was so worried about him. "I'm fine, love. I'm cured." The reminder of his current state made her so happy that she had to lean down to press their lips together. After breaking the kiss, Newt wondered aloud what had happened.

"Gally and Brenda arrived just in time to get you the cure. They gave it to you and instantly, you passed out." With a deep sigh, (Y/N) had to own up to the awful behavior she displayed to Thomas. She didn't remember much of her life of course but she was certain that was the first time she had ever threatened to kill another person and actually attempt to. It was hard for her but she explained to Newt what she did right after he passed out and up to the point that Thomas had to be rushed away to get medical attention. Newt was silent the entire time.

She was crying by the time she finished, absolutely ashamed for what she had done. Everyone in the Glade (and even the Safe Haven) had done awful things but trying to kill one of your husband's closest friends was unforgivable. (Y/N) wasn't even sure Newt could love her anymore.

Opposite to her predications, Newt pulled her down to press their lips together, a soft kiss being shared between the young adults. Newt pressed their foreheads together. "I'm okay, love. The Flare is gone and we're finally at our paradise. I know you so I know you think what you did makes me hate you now but I don't. I would have done the same thing, (Y/N). But I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere." She was able to smile and lay back against his chest.

"As soon as you're feeling better, I'll show you around paradise," she told him. Despite being there for a day, she had yet to look around since she spent the entire time at Newt's bedside. But once he recovered, they could explore together this wonderful place that would become their new home.