Chapter 9

* Hey guys. Sorry it's been a week since my last chapter but the holidays and being sick really doesn't leave me much time to write. I need to disclose that I write these stories for myself and you guys so please no negative feedback on the way I chose to write this chapter. Thank you and enjoy! *

Their stomach's turned as the feeling of freefalling took over their bodies. Their feet kicked around their air subconsciously and (Y/N), who was now a foot above Newt, gripped onto his hand tight as they all let out scared screams. In hindsight, it probably was only notifying all the guards of where they were.

Each of them crashed into the water, its cold temperature being the initial shock as they hit. (Y/N) had lost Newt's hand upon impact and reached around in search of it.

"Hey, love. Easy, darling," Newt cooed as he saw her panic without knowing where he was. The fall was scary enough but losing him again was incomparable. He wrapped his arm around her to guide her out of the fountain, hearing the other two swim just behind them. After climbing out, Newt helped (Y/N) but heard her cry out when she tried to stand up.

She fell back to the ground and twisted her foot to see what was the matter. A dozen pieces of glass were lodged into her bare foot, the now wet blood running down her foot and onto the ground. She must have stepped on a pile of glass while they jumped out the window.

"I'm sorry," she cried and went to pull out one of the pieces, only to cry and bite her lip. Newt bent down beside her while searching his pockets for anything that would be helpful in this situation. He had nothing besides his jacket that he could tie around her foot.

He was in the middle of bandaging her as best as he could when the sound of launchers charging up sounded behind him. Four WICKED guards prowled forward with guns raised. As the guards got closer, Newt positioned himself in front of (Y/N), ready to take a launcher for her if need be.

The group stood obediently on the edge of the fountain without any more bright ideas or plans to get them out of this one. They might finally be at their end.

Suddenly, one of the guards turned towards the others and shot each of them. He ran forward and when they became most frightened, he ripped off his mask.

"Gally?" (Y/N) gasped when she saw him and felt even more confused when Newt bent down to her side like seeing the ghost of their old friend was nothing to be worried about.

"Hey sunshine," he chuckled to her until he noticed the bloody cuts on her foot. He bent beside Newt and helped bandage her up as best they could but she would still have to be helped when she walked. It was no surprise that Newt took that job.

Walking through the city wasn't difficult besides the obvious hiding from guards. A few times a berg would fly overhead and they would need to hide somewhere but they lucked out and made it deep into the city.

(Y/N) needed a small break so they stopped just as a helicopter flew by with its light scanning over the city in search of them. The group hid themselves behind a cement wall circling two identical bushes. They were perfectly hidden from any of the guards driving past in the cars equipped with loud sirens and dangerous weapons.

A sudden coughing fit from Newt drew her undivided attention towards him. "Newt? What's going on with you?" She could tell something was up from his pale and sweaty face and the weird lines poking out of his shirt collar.

He looked up at (Y/N), eyes heavy and dreading having to tell her the inevitable. "I'm sick, love." He didn't need to go any further because it all pieced together for her.

"But—but we just found each other again," she cried, voice wavering as she looked at the infected veins of her lover. "I can't lose you now."

Newt's hand came up to cup her cheek, something he missed so very much. "All that I wanted was to see you again, even for one last time. I had to see you and give this to you." Newt's nimble fingers felt for the end of the vests' zipper so he could pull it down and take the jacket off. Once (Y/N) saw him struggle, she aided in unzipping the jacket but stopped him before he could reach into the pocket.

"No, Newt," she shook her head, "We just came back to each other. I can't—I won't let you say goodbye to me now."

Newt became a little forceful when he pushed her hand back so he could get to his pocket, pulling out a small metal container. "I've wanted this for years. I thought I should wait though until we were older but it seems now I won't get that chance." He popped open the lid and inside sat two silver rings, one thicker than the other.

A gasp escaped her lips, eyes filling with tears as her mind concluded what these rings meant. "Newt?"

He took her hand in his empty one. "(Y/N), I've always known it was you. Since our third month together, I knew that one day I would be asking you this question. I had hoped it would be somewhere safe where we could plan this elaborate ceremony with all our friends around but this will have to do. My love, I love you with every part of me and before I die, please tell me you'll marry me."

(Y/N) hesitated, not because she didn't want to marry him but because she agreed that she didn't want it to happen this way. Marriage was supposed to be the first step to the couple's entire lives, not the last step in his.

"Yes, Newt. Of course." With tears running down both of their cheeks, Newt slipped the thinner ring onto her finger and allowed her to do the same. But before he could kiss her and seal their engagement, she stopped him. "On one condition."

"Anything."

"Promise me you won't give up. I don't know what the Flare is doing to you but I need you to fight for me, fight so that we can get out of this city and get married like we always planned, alright?" She didn't know if it was possible but she would find some way to save him. There had to be at least one doctor in all of WICKED that could give Newt the same temporary solution that Mary gave her that would at least buy them some time.

Wanting her happiness above all else, Newt smiled a heavy smile. "I promise." With smiles on each of their faces, (Y/N) closed the distance between them and pressed her lips onto his. They didn't need the extravagant wedding with all the bells and whistles, she just needed this. This kiss was their I Do's—to them, now they were married.