III

Wait, don’t just sit down
Here’s your drink, come and dance now
Well, I’ve been watching you
From way across the room
I like the way your body moves
You don’t need anyone
To tell you that you’re done
You know just what you wanna do'.
        - mating ritual, I wear glasses.

####

Santiago was yet to approach Melissa, he could only watch as she had fun dancing on the floor, he needed a miracle to get to her.

He wondered what was wrong with him, he was able to face men and women with a fierceness, but approaching her wrongly could damage everything for him, was that why he acted like a wuss.

Santiago doubted that was it, he couldn't label himself as a pussy.

He monitored her, Yes, she was beautiful, stunning.  She definitely wasn't an easy target, she was the first woman to make him sweat, and filled with confusion, she made him calculative, he should have done more work on Melissa before the party had commenced fully, instead he had let his dick make a decision for him in a haste of thinking he could easily achieve what his father wanted.

He watched his sister dance with so much Merry with her best friend Rafael, Santiago wondered if she noticed how much Rafael liked her, he truly loved her.

He didn't want to ever be in that kind of position, to be in his shoes that is would be horrible, hiding your truest feelings because you're scared if the other wouldn't feel the same way, one word could easily end their friendship, and Rafael knew what he was doing. Santiago was sure if it, it's best to have something than to lose everything.

Rafael was suffering enough, it made him weak, Isabella had turned him into a soft man, she was good at that.

His eyes watched them closely, they appeared more of a couple than friends, Santiago hoped Isabella would come to see that one day when it wasn't too late.

"Hey handsome, what are you doing here all by yourself?", Courtney purred, the smell of alcohol hit Santiago's nostrils driving him insane.

He took two steps away from her, it only failed to keep Courtney far from him, as she covered up the space he left between them.

"Care for a dance?", came the sweet velvety voice behind his ears, he turned and shock was written all over his face.

He couldn't believe it.

Melissa had come to his rescue thought Santiago, Mel herself couldn't tell where her boldness had risen from at the moment.

She didn't care.

She was happy that that bitch wouldn't get what she wanted this night though, it wasn't much of a blow that she had hoped to give for letting her ruin her dress tonight, but if it was Santiago she was getting, it was a good enough goal.

And she would keep Courtney's unclean claws from reaching him.

Santiago took Mel's outstretched hands and followed her to the dance floor where the start of a slow music played off.

"Shall we?" Mel asked, offering her hand again, as they positioned themselves to dance in a slow mode.

Santiago simply nodded and held unto her closely.

Once again, he had failed in manners, he couldn't tell her thank you for saving his ass back there.

She disliked him even more but you can never change a leopard spots.