Chapter 25 - Smudged Smiley Faces

"This should numb the wound some, Detective." Hank explained mechanically, placing everything he'd been working with aside and drawing a now free hand up towards the injury but hesitating just above it to allow his companion a chance to protest before going any farther. Receiving no signs of discomfort or denial - just a mildly interested look and a restless squirm - the android let his synthetic skin fall away to reveal machine plastic underneath, the unnaturally white surface reflecting the glaring fluorescent lights overhead to gleam in a way that could never be considered anything but fabricated, the perfect shine revealing the android to be man made in every way possible.

Hank's LED cycled a slow yellow as he activated the protocol he sought and a pale blue light bled through the fissures connecting the synthetic plates that covered his metal inner workings, a cold glow that shone softly yet lit up his entire fabricated limb. The android let his fingertips just brush the area around the stitched up cut, pausing there a moment as Connor let out a sharp breath at the unexpected sensation and jolted a bit, but the man untensed a moment later and the machine let the palm of his hand come to rest gently over the sore injury.

"That's so fucking cool." The words spilled from Connor's lips in nothing more than a breathy whisper, hushed and earnest yet high with keen notes of intrigue and a brush of excitement as the detective's coffee eyes trained on the android's hand, chilled, white plastic pressed flush again warm, human skin as Hank let his fingers rest against his companion's chest for a few moments.

Satisfied that the wound would likely be sufficiently numb for the time being, Hank slowly drew back his hand and finally let his synthetic skin fall back into place, mockery of humanity coming to hide away the machine underneath once more. The android took a step back, politely placing his gaze upon the table rather than on Connor's swift and skillful fingers as they worked his top buttons back into place and adjusted his loose tie, absolutely ignoring any urges to let his eyes fix on those delicate yet deliberate movements - Not that any such urges existed, of course. Because that would be impossible. 100% Im-fucking-possible.

"Detective," Hank prompted once Connor was finally done being a fucking tease - Um, buttoning up his shirt, the android meant to think, that was. "You should consider eating something before we go." The android encouraged as his companion pushed off the table top with the butt of his hands and hopped down to the floor below, the machine having noticed a Kit Kat bar left lying on the wooden surface that Connor seemed to have opened but never got so far as actually eating.

"I'd really rather not." The detective declined immediately, gaze drifting to the untouched candy bar and face twisting into a disgusted grimace as he looked upon it, as if the chocolate dessert had molded on the spot.

"Detective, your sugars, salts, proteins, and virtually any other nutritional statistic I can read are concerningly low." Hank argued consistently, well aware he was not programmed to talk back to humans but pushing that fact away with the knowledge that he was assigned as Connor's partner, and continuing on without some sort of sustenance would have negative effects on the man's health. The android was simply taking care of his partner. It made sense. Period.

"We'll grab coffee at the station when we go get the case files." Connor assured easily, waving off the robot's concern with a casual swipe of his hand and beginning to walk towards the door before anything else could be said - But that wasn't stopping Hank.

"Have you eaten anything today, Detective?" The android questioned with a touch of suspicion, LED cycling a slow yellow as he waited for a response. However, the machine received none, getting naught but a sudden lurch in Connor's heart rate and visual tenseness in the man's shoulders for his efforts. "When, exactly, was the last time you ate, Detective?" Hank persisted onwards, his voice lowered a few octaves and softened so as to not be perceived as an attack but was insistent nevertheless as facts began to collect themselves in his head.