━ prologue

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

──── ❝ prologue ❞ ────

❝ disappointment ❞

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

          "AND WHAT ABOUT YOUR SISTER? I never hear much about her, you know?"

         "Well, Diana is much younger than me so I rarely get to see her since she's off in England for school. But Diana is incredibly sweet and... mature for her age, and exceptionally smart and talented as well... And no, I can't see her as much as I'd like, but there isn't anything in this world that I wouldn't do for her."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          "God, I fucking hate my brother!" I shouted as I slammed the door to my dorm room shut.

          "What's happened now?" Joey, who had already been waiting on my bed for my arrival, questioned as soon as the words slipped my mouth.

          I went off in detail of what had occurred only a half an hour before. I had gotten in trouble with my football coach again. While in a scrimmage, one of my ankles had given out and the ball, the same ball I had been dribbling towards the opponent's goal, had been taken out from under me and won the game for the opposing team. Coach didn't ask if I was alright, didn't even question what had happened for me to lose like that. All he had done was remind me of what a screw up I was in comparison to my brother who he had coached in years past.

          Events like this weren't uncommon. Because Nick and I went to the same boarding school, and because Nick always did so well in nearly all his classes and extracurriculars, it was always "Nick this" and "Nick that." There was never a moment where "Diana" was the word that left people's mouths. 

          Nick always did so well in my French class. I'm not good at French, no matter how hard I try to learn.

           I still have a few of Nick's paintings hung around my classroom. I can't paint.

          Nick was always so well-behaved. I was what could be qualified as a "rebellious child." Most people at school said that I had spare-heir syndrome, whatever that fucking means.

         "Darling..." Joey's sultry voice reached my ears.

          "No!" I continued to vent while starting to shove clothes into my half-empty suitcase for my trip back to Singapore. "It isn't fair! And now, I have to fly all the way back home just to see his stupid face and his dumb new arm candy everyone's been talking about!"

          "Diana-" Joey's voice had an edge, an edge I ignored.

          "I swear, it's like I can't ever escape him! Even when he's in America and I'm here! Fuck, just imagine what it'll be like when we're both in Singapore at the same time. I'll have to watch Ah Ma swoon over her precious baby Nicky-poo!"

          "Diana!" Joey's voice finally broke through my words.

          "What?!"

          Arms snaked around my waist, stopping my frantic motions. I didn't even realize how hot my skin had become from my bubbling anger until I felt Joey's cool nose press up against the back of my neck. At this sensation, I let me wide eyes shut and released a soft sigh. I let my hands fall upon the ones that were encompassing my waist.

         "I'm sorry... I'm just... I'm angry, is all. Should've won that game today."

         "It's okay. It's understandable. Are you okay now?"

          I laughed, "I might be... If I can get a kiss out of all of this."

          I heard Joey laugh too before I felt myself get turned around to meet a chest. Smiling, I looked up and let my lips slip into the ones that were meant for mine. As we moved them in tandem, I felt myself remember why I even decided to stay in this damned school in the first place. 

          Had it not been for Joey, I most likely would have been expelled by now. Every attempt I made to purposely step out of line, Joey was there to keep me grounded. Thank God for that, too, otherwise dear old Mumsie would have a stress-induced heart attack.

          Needing to breathe, we pulled away and stared lovingly into the other's eyes. I pushed a piece of hair away from Joey's face to get a better look into the beautiful blue sapphires that were Joey's irises, the ones that made me feel as though my brown ones were dull in comparison. 

          "I love you, Diana Young."

         "And I love you, Joey Becket."