Ch 5: Recovery and Travel

"Hey I bet you're starvin' girl and probably thirsty too." the man with the semi-pot belly said. I nodded carefully.

   "I'll get her some food and water Coach." the woman said and walked off somewhere.

   "Alright Rochelle. Ellis go ahead and sit the girl up carefully." Coach said. Ellis slid his right arm under my shoulders and slowly pushed me up into a sitting position. I wasn't exactly processing things yet so I had to catch my head with my right hand. Though surprisingly I was able to I was able to process Ellis setting me in his lap. He was sitting indian style.

   "Why... Nevermind." I said to tired to even argue. Rochelle came back from, I guess the kitchen, with some chopped canned pears and a bottle of water. "How long was I out?" I asked.

   "Three days. Most likely because your body needed to rest in order to heal." Ellis replied.

   "Sorry sweetie, but you can't use your your hands. They both got spranged pretty badly." Rochelle opened the canned pears. I sighed and looked at my guaze wrapped hands. Looks like I'm gonna be treated like a big baby fir a while. I shifted my right leg and felt that my thigh had be treated. I could feel that the five gashes from that witch were stichted closed. Wonder who treated me.

   "That explains why it looks like I'm wearing fingerless gloves made out of bandages."  I half mumbled half said. The two laughed. Rochelle scopped out a spoonful of the chopped pears. I opened up and chomped down on the spoon, quickly chewing up the minced pears, and swallowing. Well that's what I get for being unconscious for three days. Apparently Ellis and Rochelle found it amusing to feed my empty stomach. Eventually Rochelle decided to tease me. She moved the spoon around in front of my face, my eyes following it almost like a cat. I chomped down on the spoon when she least expected me to move, and ate the spoonful of pears. Group mental note: Do not tease me with food when I'm starving.

                    ~Time skip~

It took three cans of chopped fruit, and two bottles of water to satisfy me. Yeah I knew I was gonna be sore from my injuries for a while, but Rochelle said I would recover just fine. The group was on the move now, Ellis having to give me a piggyback ride because Rochelle insisted I wasn't well enough to walk.

   "Oh that reminds me, we never got your name. Coach looked at me with some curiosity in his light brown eyes.

   "It's Emiko." I replied to him. A quick glance at Nick had me notice him galnce at me, then subtly pick up his pace. I shrugged the suspicion that developed off, and tapped Ellis' shoulder to signal I was slipping. He stopped short, bouncing me some to slide back up to where I could hang onto his hips with my thighs, then resumed walking. I knew and felt utterly useless with my hands and wrists out of commition for the time being. But at least now that I was with the survivors I had a better chance at making it to a safe zone.