Chapter Two

Magnus

"Are you seriously expecting me to leave my pack to accompany you to that stupid Mating Hunt, min Kung?" I hiss.

When Sigvard, the Alpha King and my cousin, called me to the Royal Palace, I thought it was for some urgent business regarding the were community, not his stupid ideas of him being a match-maker.

"First of all, don't give me that Swedish irony," Sigvard says in English, always preferring his mother's tongue. "I've had enough of it from my own father. Secondly, it is not stupid. And lastly, I need you there for protection."

Being the Alpha King's cousin was supposed to be a perk. So far in my life, it has been a pain in the ass. He has summoned me to the palace – again – with a ridiculous request – again – and he is currently chilling out on the sofa of his vast room like nothing happened.

"You will have your guards," I try

"I've had my guards all the other four times you saved me."

"Five," I mutter through tight teeth.

"Five. See my point?"

"If you were not that insufferable, maybe people would stop wanting you dead."

"Nonsense. I am adorable."

"I can't leave my pack to travel across the ocean over the New Lands right now."

"On the contrary, dear cousin," he smiles at me, "now it's the perfect opportunity."

"Perfect? You know what I am dealing with."

"I do. And I think coming to the Mating Hunt will mean a way out of your predicament."

I scowl. If I suspect that this man is suggesting what I think he is suggesting, I am going to kick his ass. His very royal ass even I have to face the wrath of my uncle and the scorn of the whole royal family.

But all I do is go to the bar that for some reason Sigvard has in his own room and grab a bottle of vodka. I pour a glass and down it straight away before I pour some more. If I can't kick his Highness's ass, I can at least drink the overpriced Belvedere bottle he has here.

"Magnus, I don't think that this is a solution to your problems. What you need-"

"Don't you dare tell me what I need!" I turn and pin him with my look.

I've had it with people assuming what I need or not. I've had it with their ideas and judgment or sympathy and all that other shit. They should just leave me alone and mind their own fucking business.

"Magnus," Sigvard stands and comes to me. "You need a Luna, the other half of your administration. You are faltering and others can see that. Alpha Gunnar is ready to make a move on your territory and challenge your fitness to be an Alpha. Prove them all wrong. Come with me to the Mating Hunt."

"I do not need a Luna!" I drink the vodka and pour more. "I need to go after Gunnar and slit his throat, tear his spine and feed on his heart. Then we'll see if there's going to be anyone else to question my authority. And to do that, I need to be with my pack not going for some stupid trip with you, looking for someone that is not there."

Sigvard regards me seriously and takes a deep breath. He is far too young for this position, even by werewolf standards but after his father's death, the weight fell on his shoulder. And so far, despite the thousand attempts to keep him out of his throne, he is doing well.

"Listen, Magnus."

"No, Sigvard! Plus, I don't see you looking around for our future Queen."

"It's not that easy," his look darkens.

I know it's not easy. Everyone else can go forth and have a normal relationship with their destined mates without anyone questioning it. Not the Alpha King. His mate is not just any female, she will be the Luna Queen. And it's not rare for that position to be dictated by politics rather than sentiment or fate.

"Deal with your problems, cousin, and let me handle mine," I am half-way through the bottle.

"Well, cousin, you leave me no choice," Sigvard smirks. "I command you to come to the Mating Hunt."

"Oh no you don't, you-"

"Magnus!"

He has used all the force of his Alpha voice on me, a thousand times more powerful than a simple Alpha's. And though I share royal blood, I am nothing close to his strength. He may look like an easygoing person, with his sandy blonde hair and the clear blue eyes but he is still the Alpha King. And the King has just commanded me. All that is left for me to do is bow my head and accept his order.

"Ja, min Kung."

***

Days after, I am in my private jet, heading for somewhere in North America, to attend to the annual Mating Hunt of the region. Coming to think about it, I know why my cousin forced me to attend the European one and I do not like it one bit. He thinks what everybody else does. That I am going off the rails, that I am slipping and so does the control I have over my pack. That I need a Luna to keep me balanced and focus and decompress all that anger I harbor inside.

At the thought, I grab a small bottle from the cabinet before me and down the vodka in one gulp. It would be so much fucking easier if I wasn't an Alpha and of royal blood. The alcohol would have so much greater effect on me, I would feel number than I do before my healing power kicks in.

I need to feel numb, I need to forget at some point, to stop that crippling fear that gets to me. A fear a male like me should never feel. I have fallen into the midst of our enemies without a second thought. I have fought again and again with enemies others saw and wept in tears of agony. But thinking about it...

"Alpha, vi landar om två timmar," Thane, a warrior that I chose to bring with informs me that we are landing in two hours.

I nod to him though I am irritated by his happy face. He, for one, is anxious to go to the Mating Hunt. He has been looking for his mate ever since he came of age but still no luck. He hopes he can find her in the Mating Hunt over the ocean. I hope he does too cause his overflowing testosterone is getting on my nerves and damages his focus.

I train my warriors to be aggressive. We are not just any pack. We are the first line of defense against the Rogue King that was pushed into the ice and the guards of the Alpha King's palace that is to our western borders. Everyone trains in my pack. And all that aggression makes them possessive. They need a mate to relieve the anger, the rage. To balance them out.

"Du också," my wolf, Henrar comments.

He is another to be excited in the prospect of finding someone to lead along with us. To be with us, to protect and care. It's in his nature. And he is getting even more annoying than Thane, bugging me to find a mate, for him to meet her wolf and bond with her.

I huff at his comment and I dive back into the paperwork I've brought along with me to keep me busy. Deep down I know that what my cousin and my wolf hope will not happen. I will not find my mate here not anywhere in the world. The Goddess will not have granted me one. I am cursed to be alone. And go crazy at some point like everyone thinks I will.

Chapter 9 of STOLEN MOON is up on Inkitt.