CHAPTER 6. I thought it was a beetle.

A/N

I wrote this about a week and a half ago and I forgot to upload it till now.

Sorry.

Also even more time between uploads now bc I've started school and it's gonna be a busy year so yeah.

____________________________________________________

Weeks go by and all is well. Nothing strange, nothing out of the ordinary. Until we go to see my grandmother.

Not that my grandmother is strange.

She's perfectly ordinary.

It's what happened in her village that was strange.

...

"Scilla! Hurry up! We're leaving!

"Yes yes, I'm coming Mum!" I yell as I thunder down the stairs.

I'm halfway out the door when Mum goes "Scilla! Get some shoes on!"

Right. Shoes.

I have a book but I don't have shoes.

As Ron would say, I need to sort out my priorities. Or not.

In the car, I am reading and Callum is blaring music from his headphones, his hood up, completely oblivious to everything. It's a skill.

"Callum? Callum take off your headphones! Scilla, could you?"

In response to dad, I prod Callum in the shoulder. He glares at me but I indicate dad with my head and he takes off his headphones.

"Right, it's your grandmother's birthday today and she had quite a scare recently so we-" he looks pointedly at Callum, "need to be on our best behaviour. Scilla, you're going to be leaving your book-"

"What?!"

"-and Callum, you're going to be leaving anything with a battery in the car. Got it kids?"

"Yes Dad." We say in unison.

I still try and sneak my book out Mum's watching my every move so I just give it a little pat.

"Gran!"

"Happy Birthday!"

"How are you?" We all exclaim when she opens the door.

"Oh thank you! I'm wonderful today. Oh my! Haven't you two grown?"

"Yes Gran."

She leads us all into the sitting room and I settle down on a little overstuffed stool when I remember what Dad said about Gran's scare.

When there's a lull in the conversation, I but in.

"Gran, I heard you had a... ah... scare. What happened?"

Gran is a huge gossip. She loves telling us who is getting married, who is getting an extension on their house so she'll jump at the chance to recount her 'adventure'.

"Well I was sitting right here watching the telly because my arthritis was playing up and I needed a little sit down. And then the screen just changed and there's this huge blue eye just looking around. It looks right at me, it gave me an awfully funny feeling. And then the radio started saying 'Prisoner Zero has...' Oh what was it? I'm... oh! Escaped! 'Prisoner Zero has escaped.' It wouldn't stop! And I thought that's not normal because last time I'd checked it was the Archers. So I go to turn it off, I thought it was a beetle."

"A bug Gran."

"But that didn't work so I go next door to ask Doris Notting. You know her dear, she used to give you caramels - and the same thing had happened to her! Anyway we go into her garden to get away from all the noise. Doris has a wonderful view and we could see all the way to the hospital and hovering above it -", she shudders, "- there was the eye. It was as big as this house and it was flying around in this nest thing of stalactite things. It shone some lights and then it juts soared off."

Aliens! Aliens in my gran's village!

How come I haven't heard anything? Why haven't seen something in the newspapers? Why didn't my computer notify me?

"That sounds terrible Gran. So what do you think it was? Did anyone say anything?"My mum asks and I listen closely.

"It was probably a hoax dear."

Just like humans, refusing to believe what's right under their noses!

"And the little girl down the road, Amelia Pond, well she's not so little anymore but her and this young man were running all over the place."

So this Pond girl could be an alien. Maybe.

"Right let's all go for lunch then shall we? Ready Mum?"

Dad hands Gran her coat and ushers us all out the door.

I fall into step next to Gran.

"Oh Scilla dear, this is where they were running around and taking pictures and everything."

"Ah, that's cool. Shall we go see the view?"

I steer her towards the large patch of grass.

"Oh yes the view is nice. Did I tell you about Doris' view?"

But I've tuned her out.

There, lying on the ground is a metal tool of some sort. One of the ends is blue and it looks like it's been in a fire.

I step closer and peer at it.

It's sonic and I'm pretty sure it's Time Lord.