14

I'm surprised to see the house spotless the morning after the party when I make my way downstairs

I'm surprised to see the house spotless the morning after the party when I make my way downstairs. The guys must have stayed up late to clean, or maybe they hired someone to do it.

Everybody is sitting around the table surrounded by a variety of common American breakfast foods like pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs cooked in different ways, milk, and orange juice. Filling up the electric kettle, I turn it on and take my seat beside Chase, fixing myself a small plate. The guys all talk about a football game that they either played or watched, and I tune them out. "Is that all you're going to eat?" Chase asks from beside me, not participating in the football conversation anymore, instead, turning his attention to me.

"I'm not usually hungry in the mornings," I say with a smile, still picking at my food before giving up entirely due to my lack of appetite. My attention is drawn to Maddox when his phone rings. He answers it without looking at the caller ID and immediately his face turns angry. He stands up and storms off into the kitchen, shouting and cursing whoever was mad enough to call him. I catch snippets of his conversation, accidentally eavesdropping due to his volume. "Why the fuck would you call me when you know― put her on." He interrupts himself, wanting to talk to a woman instead of whoever was receiving the brunt of his frustration. His tone changes completely when he speaks to this new person, becoming quieter and full of...love?

"I miss you P. How are you?" I notice my grip on my fork becomes tighter and I let it go, placing it beside my plate and fully listening to as much of his conversation as I can now. The kettle turns off and I use the opportunity to get closer. "You want to come to stay with me? No problem, I'll come get you." He says softly to whoever is now speaking.

Is he bringing a girlfriend home? Is that the girl who was in his bedroom the other night? I blush at the memory again. He said that he didn't have sex with her. The thought shouldn't relieve me but it does. "I'm coming to get her now, have a nice trip." He spits angrily into the phone, obviously speaking to the caller again. I take my tea back to the table and sit. He hangs up and I pick up my fork, pretending to be doing something when he walks back in and takes his seat beside me.

"Chase, guys, is it alright if Penny comes to stay for a few days? If not we can stay in a hotel." Maddox asks, directing his question more towards Chase and I sink down in my chair, hoping he won't agree. I can't sleep knowing that he isn't alone next door.

"Of course man, Penny is always welcome here," Chase says and the rest of the guys agree. I pout. Maddox notices but doesn't say anything before he stands up and takes the stairs to his room. He comes back down with his keys in hand and walks right out the door minutes later.

I excuse myself from the table and walk upstairs to get ready for the day, deciding to wander around town by myself and discover some things on my own. A distraction before I have to get back to my massive pile of assignments.

"I'm going out!" I yell to Chase, waving as I close the door behind me, not giving him the chance to stop me. Walking down the street, I take notice of all the shops I pass, stopping in some and trying to familiarize myself with the territory. I smile at people as I pass them and most of them smile back in return. A colorful little beach shop piques my interest so I stop to look around.