50

"When you said that you were taking me somewhere, I thought you meant bowling or mini-golf or something," Aurora says with her hands on her hips and that adorable pout on her face

"Just wait, Princess," I say, my nerves getting the best of me as I lead Aurora down the rows and rows of outdoor storage units, each one identical to the last. Aurora doesn't say another word as she looks up at me curiously and allows me to drag her along. I approach the familiar blue door of Unit 117 before fishing my keys out of the pocket of my shorts and finding the correct one to open the heavy-duty lock. Aurora's hand is wrapped lightly around my bicep and slips off when I bend down to lift the door, arms stretching overhead to push it to its maximum height.

"Maddox, why are we here?" Aurora asks softly, probably sensing my anxiety. I turn to face her and grab both of her hands in mine, smiling to ease her.

"I have something that I want to show you. And then I have something that I want to tell you. Don't be scared." She nods, following me into the dark storage unit. I run my hand along the wall to flick the lightswitch and when it flickers on, Aurora's eyes widen.

White sheets cover rows and rows of paintings stacked against one another, some of them falling off the corners slightly. Aurora steps forward, quickly becoming distracted enough, fingers slipping from mine as I stay rooted in my spot, the familiarity tugging in my gut.

"May I?" Aurora asks as she reaches out to touch a particularly large canvas. I nod. Dainty fingers reach for the corner of the sheet, pulling it off completely and gasping when she sees the image. Her hand flies up to cover her mouth and she turns back around to look at me, bright eyes wandering my face. "Maddox. Where did you get this? Is it an original?" She asks and I realize that I should have known that she would recognize it. Though she hardly mentions it, I know her knowledge and love of art is profound.

"It is." Is all I can say, my eyes traveling behind her, permanently fixed on the familiar canvas. Watching the still image as Aurora watches me.

"What was your mother's name?" Is the question she asks, and what breaks me out of my reverie.

"I think you know that already, Princess." I step forward, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Water wells up in her green eyes as she looks up at me and she leans into my palm grabbing my hand with one of her own.

"I'm so sorry." Her lip trembles as she pieces together the information she already possessed, information about my mother's death that was made public because of her fame. Sophia Ramos was a beautiful woman, an amazing artist, and a loving mother.

"What they don't tell you in her biography is that her two-year-old daughter is the one who found her, and following shortly after was her nineteen-year-old son. My biggest fear is that Penny will remember what she saw. What I wasn't there to protect her from. We weren't even supposed to be there. She didn't want us to see..." I close my eyes and attempt to swallow the lump in my throat. "Today marks the two-year anniversary." The anniversary of the day that I found my sister looking up at my mother while she hung by the neck from a light fixture in her closet.

Soft hands run over my pecs and around my shoulders, calming me infinitesimally. Aurora leans her cheeks against my chest, listening to my rapid heartbeat as I remember the worst day of my life.

"I was just finishing up my second year of university when it happened. Penny needed me, my dad didn't give a shit about any of us and she could tell something was wrong, so I dropped out. Took a year off. One of the hardest things I've had to do was leave her and come back, knowing that she'd be with him...

"Does he...abuse her?" She asks softly, probably worried that she'll anger me.

"God no, if I knew he was I'd kill him. No. But he's neglectful. He doesn't care. She needs so much more than what he can give her. She needs me."

"Have you thought about becoming her guardian?"

"Of course I have. That's all I think about. But what judge would grant a twenty-one-year-old university student full custody of a four-year-old over her successful father?"

Aurora purses her lips sadly, red-rimming her eyes. Her chin is puckered and her eyebrows furrowed, displaying all of her empathy on her delicate face. I place both hands on her cheeks, looking right at her.

"Don't let this sit too heavy on your heart. I know how much you care." I tell her and she nods before bursting into tears and sobbing lightly. I caress her back as she buries her face in my chest.

"I'm so sorry Maddox. I'm so sorry. I wish I could take it all away." Her body shakes.

"I know, Princess. I know."

Fresh air greets us as we sit in silence, the two of us watching the sun go down as we sit on the hood of the Jeep. Just before I'm about to sit up, the phone in my pocket rings. Aurora looks to me expectantly and I fish it out from my pocket, accepting the call before looking at the caller ID. Regretting my decision as soon as I hear the words: "Hello son."

"Peter." I greet curtly. "What's the reason for calling this fine evening," I say sarcastically posh.

"I would like for you to join me at the house tomorrow. Be here by 12 pm at the latest." He orders. I know better than to argue, knowing that this is to talk to the lawyers about the fight. I can't help but wonder if he even knows what day it is today. Looking over at Aurora, I see her looking slightly confused by the one side of the conversation that she is hearing.

"See you then." I hang up and slip my phone into my pocket, rubbing my hands on the outside of my shorts. Aurora links her fingers with mine, sensing my anxiety.

"Let's go back yeah?" Aurora asks, not prying even though I can tell that she's curious, and I appreciate it more than she'll know.