49

Ring Ring

Ring Ring

"Shhh." I hear Maddox groan from beside me and if it weren't for the incessant ringing of a phone, I probably would've taken the time to admire his muscular back, completely covered by an accurate ribcage tattoo. Each time that I see it, the hollowness of the skeleton hits me harder and I wonder if that's how Maddox sees himself. Missing everything vital. Missing a heart.

Ring Ring

I search the bed and my bedside table for my phone, recognizing the familiar ringtone. I find it on the floor beside the bed and pick it up, seeing an unknown number. I click the green button and put it up to my ear.

"Hello?" I say into the device.

"Hey, it's me, Callum. I was just calling to remind you of your lesson this afternoon."

"Oh! Cheers, I totally would have forgotten. What time are we meeting again?"

"1:30 pm."

"Alright! I'll see you at 1:30 then! Goodbye." I say and hang up after hearing him say the same. Maddox is now awake and sitting up on his elbows, glaring at me when I turn to face him again.

"Was that a guy? Where are you meeting him at 1:30?" He asks and I try to hold back my smile at his jealousy, knowing that it would only anger him further.

"That was Callum, the surf instructor. I'm getting lessons at 1:30 and we're meeting at the surf shop." I say calmly and lay down on his chest. He doesn't relax so I wrap my arms around his warm body as well.

He takes a deep breath. "Alright." He exhales. "Sorry I overreacted." I giggle and squeeze him tighter.

"It's okay, I know you're new to this. Remember, so am I." I say while tickling Maddox lightly with my index finger, tracing his tattoos. He hums under his breath, obviously enjoying my touch.

"Wait. You still can't swim Aurora. Does the instructor know this? Never mind, the ocean is so unpredictable, it's not safe." Maddox sits up, concerned as he addresses me. I purse my lips.

"No he doesn't know, and it's okay because we're just staying on the sand today." I try to placate Maddox but he doesn't calm down.

"I still don't like it..." He trails off but drops the topic anyway.

After Maddox and I cuddled in bed all morning, I finally managed to drag myself out of it and kick him out of my room so that I could get ready. He grudgingly complied and I was able to put on a swimsuit with shorts and a tank top over it. I'm putting my hair into a fishtail braid when I hear a knock at my door.

"I'll drive you there," Maddox says as soon as I open the door and I smile and thank him, grabbing my bag with my wallet and phone in it. I follow Maddox out to his car, he's choosing to drive his Jeep today, probably because we're going to the beach. I wonder if Chase knows about Maddox's wealth, considering he's only been getting more open about it with me recently.

The silence on the way to the beach is comfortable and Maddox mindlessly caresses his fingertips over my hand with his free one while he drives. Maddox gives me a short kiss and bids me farewell as I hop out of the car and make my way over to the shop that Callum works at.

"Hey, Aurora, perfect timing. Let me show you to your board and I'll be right back." Callum says and walks me over towards the back of the shop, where the doors are wide open and it backs right out onto the beach, perfect for lessons. Callum leads me to a big white surfboard in the sand and tells me to look over it and feel it, maybe try picking it up while he grabs something.

I do as Callum says and pick the board up, running my hands all over the smooth, waxy surface. I admire the beach as well and put the surfboard on the sand, standing on it and balancing.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind but we got a last minute booking who will be joining us. Aurora, this is―"

"Maddox," I say exhasperatedly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Oh, you two know each other," Callum says, slightly confused.

"She's my girlfriend," Maddox says directly to Callum, making me roll my eyes at his effort to stake a claim on me, but a smile breaks through nonetheless.

"Sweet! This is gonna be a blast you guys." Callum exclaims and Maddox furrows his eyebrows.

"So let's get started, can't wait to start surfing with my girl," Maddox says and walks over to me, wrapping a territorial arm over my shoulder and I giggle, not minding the display. I'd be the same if it was the other way around.

"Glad to hear the enthusiasm man." Callum says and starts going into how we will practice on the sand, doing the movements that we would be doing in the water the next time but focusing on our technique instead of the objective.

Maddox takes off his shirt, leaving him in black swim shorts so I do the same, pulling off my shirt and shorts which only leaves me in a white, cheeky, one-piece bathing suit with a low back and thin straps. Maddox glares at me after checking me out, he then walks in front of me to block me from Callum's eyesight but he isn't even paying attention. The lesson is fun and I pay as close attention as I can to Callum while Maddox tries to distract me.

"You know I could teach you all of this Princess. And I could do it much more hands on." Maddox growls into my ear, causing butterflies to wreak havoc on my stomach. I blink the lust out of my eyes and struggle to pay attention to anything other than Maddox the entire rest of the lesson.

Once Callum is finally finished with us, Maddox simply picks me up over his shoulder and starts to carry me away, picking up mine and his clothes on the way. I giggle while I'm upside down, amused by my position.

"Where are you taking me, mister," I say, feigning anger and Maddox moves his hand from my thigh to my bum, squeezing my right cheek.

"Somewhere."