Part II

Part II

As Adla settled on her couch, she held on to her side and exhaled loudly. Her entire body was feeling strange but that was to be expected after what had transpired. Taking a few deep breaths to fill her lung with fresh air to hopefully energize her, the brunette grabbed her phone and looked for the right name: Leah.

Leah: Hello?

Adla: Hey, I'm so sorry for not calling earlier.

Leah: Where are you? I've been freezing my butt off waiting for you. The movie already started.

Adla: Listen, I'm not going to make it. I'm at home.

Leah: Oh.

Adla: I wanted to but there was incident at work.

Leah: Are you okay? What happened?

Adla: It's just a graze shot and a bruise. But I had to take some hardcore painkillers at the hospital, so I can't drive...or do much at all really.

There was no answer on the other end of the line for a few seconds and Adla wondered if Leah had hung up.

Adla: Leah? Are you still there?

Leah: You...you got...shot?

Adla: Not really.

Leah: You got shot and you're apologizing for not making it to the movies?

Adla: I was looking forward to it and I know you were too.

Leah: Screw the movies, Adla! You got shot, for God's sake. I think that's a good enough reason to cancel. Are you...okay? Do you need something?

Adla: No, I'm just...nothing, I'm fine.

Leah: Do you want me to come over and bring you some food? We can watch movies at your place if you want.

Adla: We could but I don't want to be an inconvenience.

Leah: Are you serious? Send me your address and I'll be right there. Pizza sound okay?

Adla: Hey, I'm half Italian, remember?

Leah: Right. I'll see you in a bit. Bye.

Adla: Thank you, bye.

Hanging up, Adla smiled to herself because she was admittedly relieved not to be alone tonight. She had been excited to meet up with Leah, but she couldn't have foreseen the day at work. Her new friend had sounded extremely worried on the phone. The amount of concern in the blonde girl's voice wasn't necessarily surprising but Adla hadn't realized how shocking it must sound to people who weren't in her line of work.

Unwilling and partially unable, the young policewoman didn't get up from the couch until she absolutely had to. The doorbell rang and walking over wasn't as painful as the actual standing up beforehand. However, as soon as she opened the door and saw Leah with two big cartons of pizza, Adla felt better instantly.

"Hey, come in," Adla welcomed her friend.

"Thank you," Leah replied while entering the apartment. "I'd hug you but I'm not sure if that's the right protocol after getting shot."

"I didn't get shot, Leah," the officer smiled gently. "The bullet just grazed my arm. It's all bandaged and good. But I have this bruise on my ribs that's killing me."

"Also from today?" Leah wondered and put down the pizzas as both girls sat on the big couch. "What happened?" Her tone softened. "I mean, can you tell me?"