Chapter 1: The Day Has Gone

Hazel's POV:

It was over... I lost everything... The person I thought was my friend... My position as counselor, everything. Gone. Down the drain. I have to get out of here... I need to leave camp... Maybe then I'll find someone who really cares and I won't have to be cruel as a defense mechanism... I need to pack and leave as soon as possible. It's a good thing I can drive and brought my car, because if I didn't have those two things, I'd be screwed.

It's about 12 o'clock in the morning. I packed my trunks, my backpack, and suitcase. I moved them all quietly onto the lawn of our cabin. I couldn't wake the weasels. They'll know and be ridiculously cruel to me. I tape a note to the door with duck tape so it won't fall. I look around the camp I grew up in one last time, wiping away tears. I put my backpack on my shoulders, dragging my suitcase and trunks to my car. Before I leave I have to say goodbye to the person I love, even if he doesn't love me back.

I quietly run to Grizzly cabin and knock on the door. Ravi and Jorge are heavy sleepers anyway so I'm not concerned about waking them. Xander answers the door "What Hazel?" He asks annoyed. "You shouldn't even be up right now." He says rubbing his eyes. "This will only take a minute..." I say gently grabbing his arm and pulling him to the fire pit. "Look," I say. "This is really hard for me to do. But you're the only person here that I can say I care about. Xander, I love you," I say my eyes tearing up. "But I know you love Emma. I just want you to be happy no matter what. You were my only friend, but I realized you were never my friend..." I say crying. "So to make this short, you don't need to care about me. Be happy with Emma. But don't forget that I was there when no one else was..." I say wiping away my tears of pain streaming from my eyes. Xander just looks at me. He's never looked at me like that before. He finally speaks up. "Hazel what's going on, are you ok?" He asks. "I'm fine... You should go back to bed you look exhausted." I sniff putting on a fake smile. He nods giving me a rub on the shoulder before walking back to Grizzly cabin. That was my que to leave. I start my car and start to pull away. Goodbye Camp Kikiwaka. You're my home away from home.