Chapter 3: What's it like in New York City?

Hazel's POV:

Well. I had saved enough money over the years to buy a studio apartment. But where would I even go? Sure I thought about it before, but I never really came up with an idea of what I wanted to do. I only just graduated a couple months ago! I hadn't really planned on going to college, but that was ok. I bought a ticket for a flight to NYC. The Big Apple. I don't have parents, so I lived with my Aunt Gladys. I went to her house and packed all of my things, loading them into my car. I realized that getting a flight was pointless because I'd need to drive down anyway. I got all of my savings taken out of my account at the bank and given to me. It wasn't safe, but I didn't have a bank set up in New York so this was all I could do. I bought a safe to put all of it in, and hid it in the back of my trunk with all of my stuff. I went to CVS and bought a bunch of snacks and water for the drive. It was a long drive from Maine to New York after all. I put in my favorite CDs and jammed all the way down. When I had gotten there, I slept in my car. The next day I drove down the the apartment sections of the city and found a decent apartment that I bought that day. After HOURS of paperwork, I finally had my apartment and was ready to move in. All of my things including my safe were in boxes that I tried very hard to carry by myself. I ended failing halfway through the walk to the elevator with all of my boxes balanced one on top of the other. A man came up to me. He was tall, heavy set, covered in tattoos, and had a beard. He was bald and wore black boots, black jeans, and a read and black flannel shirt. He stared down at me. "Do you need help?" He asked. "That would be amazing actually, thank you." I reply. It turns out we're neighbors and I invite him over for some coffee. His name was Devin and we became friends quickly. He gave me his number, and I gave him mine. He had to go, so I said goodbye. Now I'm sitting on the floor of my new apartment eating Chinese food, with no furniture, and not a single box is unpacked. Very productive Hazel. Very productive. But hey, look on the bright side. At least you have a place to live instead of in your car. That's pretty good now isn't it. I texted Devin and asked if he'd help me furniture and mattress shop. He said yes. He also offered to buy a few things since I don't have a job yet. He's such a nice guy! For jobs, I had seen a few listings  and I had the perfect one picked out. Let's do this!!

A few days later

I had new furniture, I was all unpacked, and I had sent in my application for this singing restaurant that I was a waitress for. They called me back the day after and said I got the job. Everything was going great until I went to bed that night. I checked my phone, only to see a number I deleted years ago... Lou.