Chapter twenty-two: in which she visits the best friend

I took a taxi and bought my plane ticket on the way to the airport. It was late Friday afternoon and the streets were surprisingly calm. I had booked my ticket for 7pm and I'd be by Amanda's by midnight.

If Kate found out what I was planning to do, she would probably slap me. But what was I supposed to do after she kicked me out? I was not ready to face Trevor because I didn't even know how I felt. I know I liked the kiss and I know I love him, but love him how? Did I like the kiss because he is my best friend and I like him? Or did I enjoy it because of a different reason? Was I really contemplating the possibility of having a relationship with him?

I needed my best friend right now, and I was not talking about Trevor. I needed Amanda, she always knew what to say to me. We've known each other for years and she had always been the voice of reason whenever I had a problem with anything.

Once I arrived at the airport, I went through the usual baggage registration and security measures before boarding. The flight went by in a blink because I slept through it and in no time the air hostess was already waking me up. I took a taxi praying that Amanda was home, it would be awkward to knock on her apartment just to find out she wasn't there. I probably should have called her or at least texted her, but it was the perfect opportunity to surprise her with a visit. She would certainly not expect it. Besides, my phone was turned off ever since I boarded the plane. I didn't want Kate or Trevor calling me every five minutes when they realized that I didn't go back to the apartment.

I paid the driver and made my way to the third floor of Amanda's building. I hesitated in front of her door. Was this a good idea? Who am I kidding? I'm already here. It was not as if I would go back to LA tonight. It was a quarter to midnight. It was either here or a hotel.

I knocked on the door and bounced on my heels waiting for any sign of life from the other side. If she was here, she wouldn't be sleeping. I heard noises from the other side. I was nervous and I didn't even know why. Amanda opened the door.

"Surprise?" It was meant to sound excited, to be an exclamation rather than what sounded like a question.

"What?!" Amanda was more shocked than what I would've imagined. She dropped the beer she was holding. With the beer forgotten, she threw her arms around my neck in a tight hug. I returned it willingly squishing her a little. I really had missed her.

"It's good to know that you missed me." I teased her.

"What are you doing here?!" She let me go.

"I'm here for the weekend." I smiled.

"I can't believe it! Come in!" She leaned down and took my suitcase. "I'll help you with this."

"There's no need, you have some cleaning to do. " I poninted at her forgotten beer.

"Oh, shit."

After we cleand up her mess, she guided me to her spare room. We dumped my luggage in a corner and collapsed on the bed staring at the ceiling.

"I still can't believe you're here, it was the greatest surprise ever." Amanda turned on her side to stare at me. "But, why are you here? I want the truth."

She knew me so well, and just in her typical Amanda way she cut to the chase. I wasn't going to beat around the bushes with her, not like I did with Kate. After all, this was the reason why I came to visit, but I didn't even know where to start. I offered her a weak smile.

"Start at the beginning." She encouraged. "Breath in and out with it!"

I laughed, she was crazy. God, I had missed her.

"Okay." I took a quiet breath. "It has to do with Trevor."

"I fucking knew it! You are meant to be!"