Lights Out | Peter Parker [AG]

"Okay, we've got classics," you said, holding the remote towards the television, "and we've got new horror movies from last year. You know, all the movies that no one liked and so they're all free on TV?"

You turned towards your boyfriend, Peter, a smile on your face. He smiled back, fingers already grabbing at cheese popcorn in a big glass bowl. He shrugged and tossed his head back, dropping a handful of kernels in his mouth.

"Your pick, babe," he said. "I really don't care."

It was a Friday night in mid-October and chilly enough to make a night of hot tea and junk food reasonable.

You sighed. "I wish you would care, because I sure don't." You looked back at the TV. "We've already had a Halloween marathon this month. Let's try Lights Out. I heard it sucked."

"Let's find out," Peter said, patting the space on the couch beside him.

You hit play and set the remote down. Before dropping on the couch, you ran over to a lamp and switched it on.

"Just in case one of us happens to get scared," you said.

Peter laughed softly and reached for you. You walked over to him and sat down, head on his shoulder and feet tucked up at the side of the couch. He wrapped an arm around you and kissed you on the head as the movie started.

Forty minutes in, Peter turned his head.

"Well, this movie does suck," he mumbled.

You laughed. "Yeah, it does. I would say it could be better, but..."

Peter chuckled. "Maybe the next movie will be-"

With a buzz and a click, the TV screen went black and the lamp shut off. You jumped, eyes struggling to adjust to the sudden dark.

"Uh... we must have blown a fuse," Peter said.

"We hardly had anything on," you said, a little nervous.

Peter snickered. "I thought you weren't scared of this terrible movie."

"I'm not," you defended, voice bitter. You wanted to pull away from him, but being further in the dark seemed less appealing. "I just don't understand why the power went out-"

"I'm kidding, babe," he said. "Don't worry, alright? I'll protect you." He kissed you on the head. "I'll go find the fuse box and-"

The TV flickered. Bewildered and confused, you and Peter froze.

"Peter-"

"___," he said, suddenly very serious. You couldn't see his face, but it didn't take a genius to know he was panicked. "I need you to go upstairs and-"

Suddenly, with a burst of light, a loud buzz, and the flashing of the light bulbs as they flickered on and off quickly, you gasped. Peter was on his feet, his movements looking hesitant because of the flashes of dark and light. He grabbed you, calling your name loudly, and pulled you close.

Your heart was beating madly. "Peter, what-"

You couldn't understand what was going on. And then, all at once, it made sense as the hooded, blue skinned figure of Electro walked out of the hallway and into the room, his mouth pushed down in a grimace of hatred.

"Oh gosh," you choked, fear making you latch onto Peter.

He pushed you back behind him, one arm out. He backed up slightly. Electro followed, hands curling into fists as he took a step to match Peter.

"How did you find us?" Peter asked.

"It wasn't hard," he said. "It was the easiest thing to do." His eyes flickered to you. "It'll be harder to do what I'm going to do to her. You're a fool for sticking around her, Peter Parker. An absolute fool."