A Stranger | Peter Parker [TH]

Being Peter Parker's girlfriend was difficult, because you basically had to share him with the entire city of Queens. They needed Spider-Man, and by some chance, you had started dating that superhero two years ago. And now it was normal - not hearing from him for a whole night, him skipping dates, him showing up in your room injured...

But with every passing day, he became more and more different. He was so serious about his job as the superhero. It consumed him, but he was happy, because he was finally popular.

People adored him. Adored him.

And he adored the attention they gave him.

Suddenly it was like your love for him wasn't enough. It was theirs that he was chasing. It hurt, but you kept it to yourself, not even telling Michelle or Ned or Gwen, because sometimes it hurt that bad - and you felt stupid. You were an idiot, right? Peter loved you. Always had.

But sometimes you weren't so sure.

"Hey, ___," Ned said, and you turned your head to see him bouncing down the hall towards you, textbooks tucked under his arm. You smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good," you said. "Did Peter ever show?"

"No," he sighed, and he frowned for a brief moment. "Probably off fighting the Goblin again."

"Yeah," you said. You gnawed on your lip nervously. "Hopefully he's okay."

"He's Peter," Ned said, throwing his elbow into your side gently, "of course he's okay!"

You smiled at him thankfully before the sound of a television in the hall reached your ears. At the mention of Spider-Man, you and Ned approached the screen, a crowd of teenagers already gathered and watching.

"What is it?" you asked, trying not to sound too nervous as you stared at the shaky footage of the camera.

"Some sort of gathering," Gwen said, turning her blonde head to beam at you. "From where Spider-Man saved that group of kindergartners when they were kidnapped by the Green Goblin. They're celebrating him. And look! He's there."

Sure enough, your boyfriend swung into the scene. He was in a black suit, though, identical to the red and blue one he always wore-

A black suit?

"What's he wearing?" Ned asked you, and you shrugged. "He looks awesome."

He landed on the middle of a stage and everyone cheered. He held up his arms and bowed, and Gwen squealed. She had the biggest crush on him. You glanced at Ned and he snickered.

A girl came up on stage and she shook his hand. She was pretty, and you recognized her from your book club. She was a senior, a year older than you, and she was pretty much obsessed with Spider-Man.

Who wasn't, right?

Peter talked to her for a bit and everyone cheered, and then she leaned in and whispered something. He pulled back, a moment paused, she pulled out her cellphone, and then he leaned in and kissed her on the mouth, right through his mask. Her camera flashed as they snapped a selfie of it.

Gwen gasped. "Oh my gosh... how lucky!"

Your heart broke in two.

Ned stiffened, then looked at you. He softly said your name like an apology, but you were already turning from the screen and running down the hallway, feeling like your world had come to a sudden, crashing halt.

...

Peter came into school late, his hair a mess and his face aching with a smile that wouldn't go away. They had thrown a party for him. A freaking party.