I Need A Hero | Ned Leeds

Ever since Ned had asked you out and you had said yes, he had become increasingly more like Peter. Not in their usual nerdy, Star Wars obsessed, geeky science nerd, Lego building ways - they were always similar in that sense - but in a protective, hero way.

It started in PE. During dodgeball, Ned would go out of his way to block a ball from hitting you. You told him to knock it off, since it often meant he was out of the game and you were left in to endure it alone.

"I have to protect you, babe," he'd say, and he'd shrug his shoulders and rub a sore spot on his chest, "I have to."

You brushed this off as just a sweet-boyfriend thing he did. He "protected you" from everything. Dodgeballs, Flash Thompson, tripping in the middle of the hallway, bad grades, strict teachers, detention... if there was something he could save you from, he did it. And he acted like a hero, too, like it was his job and he was so proud to be able to do it right, just for you.

He was your hero, alright, especially when you were walking home with him after school.

Ned liked to walk you home before you ever started dating him, but now it was special. It was a time for you two to hang out without Peter tagging along. It was you and him, hand in hand, laughing and making Star Wars puns. He was trying to beg you to see The Last Jedi again. You were declining over and over again.

"I thought you liked it!" he said, pouting.

"I did," you said. "I do. Just... not enough to see it three times at the theater." You had seen it for your first date and your second date. "It was good, but, like... I don't know. The whole Rey and Kylo thing? The guy tagging along with Finn and Rose? Poe acting like an idiot? Luke being a grumpy old troll? Ugh, and that stupid shirtless Kylo scene!" You shuddered.

"I thought Kylo was your favorite," he said.

"He is, but I don't want to see him shirtless," you told him. "It was just... bad writing, I guess." You elbowed him lightly. "But hey, I'll see it with you again, if you want me to."

He smiled lovingly and reached down, taking your fingers and putting them in between his. You both walked along, crossing the crosswalk, when-

"Look out!"

You and Ned stopped dead in the center. Not even ten feet away was a taxi cab that showed no sign of slowing down. You gasped, tightened your grip on Ned, and felt your blood run cold, and then it was over.

Except it wasn't, because Ned had shoved you away, and you were stumbling across the road, then falling, then hitting your head, then hearing a loud crash, and then hearing several screams.

You sat up, heart thumping in your ears. Oh no, oh no, oh no-

"That boy has been hit!" an older lady across the street screamed. "Someone call 911!"

"Ned," you croaked. You stood up shakily, your legs like Jell-O. You fell twice as you made your way to the scene, unable to comprehend it until the world stopped spinning.

The taxi had crashed into one of the cars that was parallel parked on the side of the road. Glass was everywhere, the taxi cab driver was groaning for help, and Ned was on the ground.

"Ned!" you screamed.

You practically threw yourself on top of him, screaming.

Hands pulled at your arms and waist. Bystanders, trying to take a peek at the boy and explain it to paramedics and give you space to let him breathe-

But he wasn't theirs, he was yours, and you had to make sure your Ned was okay.

"No!" you yelled, and you shoved them. "Get off of me, get off! No- Ned!"

They let go and your body flopped on top of his. Your fingers fluttered across his chest, looking across the maroon hoodie he wore. They lifted the locks of dark hair off his forehead and smoothed them back. They shook as they traveled across him, searching for something wrong.

You checked over his face and his eyes were close. His chest was moving, and you were checking for blood, checking for blood, checking for blood everywhere-

And there was none.

"Oh my gosh, Ned," you cried.

"___," he said, eyes still closed. "I don't think it hit me."

"It didn't," you said, and realization sunk in. You dropped your face on his chest. "Oh my gosh, it didn't. Ned..."

"Are you okay?" he asked, and his eyes opened. He looked over you. "Dude, are you okay?" He grabbed your hand and you hissed at the sudden stinging. "Oh crap, you're not! Babe! Where else does it hurt? Are you alright?" He sat up and took your hands in his, eyes raking over them.

"I-I'm fine," you stuttered, looking down at your hands, unable to comprehend why they hurt. When you saw the red scrapes and the smears of blood on your now raw skin, you grimaced, but covered it with a smile. You pulled your hands from him. "It's just a scratch. I'm okay."

"You're okay," he repeated, and he let out a sigh of relief. He touched his legs. "And I'm okay."

You grabbed his face. "You saved me, Ned Leeds."

You smiled lovingly and wrapped his hands around your wrists, pulling them from his face. He brushed hair off of your shoulder and then shrugged.

"You don't ever need to worry about getting hurt when you're with me," he said, voice strong and full of protectiveness. "I'm always going to protect you."

You eyes swam with tears, because you knew it was true.

Ned Leeds had no powers, but he was such a loving, protective, heroic kind of guy, that he would do anything to save you. He was only the guy in the chair, but he was capable of being more than just that, because he had the heart of a hero.