Happy Birthday

Nora looked herself over in the mirror. It was her birthday today. Just another year older. She sighed. Running her hands through her curly blonde hair and flattening down her casual dress. It was dark blue and long sleeved, incredibly simple, yet still complimenting her curves. Another reminder that she was a year older.

It was April. Four months after new years, four months after the accident and somehow, one way or another Adam had landed himself in the hospital again.

Sighing loudly, Nora walked away from the mirror and ran her hands through her hair a couple of times. (A habit she has when she's stressed.)

She left the bathroom, plastered on a smile and descended the stairs.

"You ready to go?" Her aunt Anne asked.

Nora nodded.

With a warm smile that creased at the corners of her eyes, Anne grabbed the car keys and opened the front door, leading the way down the lawn towards the car.

Nora slid into the passenger seat and watched the scenery go by silently as Anne drove them both to the hospital. "You want me to come in with you?" Her aunt asked, side glancing her quickly before turning her sight back to the road.

"No," Nora shook her head, "I'll be fine."

Anne nodded slowly as she pulled the car to a stop at the hospital car park. "You look lovely." She complimented, Nora nodded in thanks and looked away, "I'll pick you up in an hour?"

"Alright."

Nora opened the door and stepped outside of the car, closing it behind her, she made her way into the hospital and shortly after, her way to her fathers room.

The white door that stood before her had never been more intimidating. It stood taller than her, stronger than her, it made Nora feel small and weak. And knowing what lay in a bed behind it didn't make the matter better or worse.

Hand clutching the door handle tightly, Nora stepped into her fathers room. He was sleeping. A breath of relief left Nora's rosy lips, but then came a wave of disappointment.

She walked towards the bed and sat in the chair, hand itching to hold his tightly. So she did. She held his hand, and listened to the sound of his heart monitor beeping. Five days ago, Adam had had a seizure. He had fallen and hit his head on the kitchen counter.

"Hey dad," she whispered, her thumb stroking his knuckle.

Nora felt like she needed to be quiet this time. As if not whispering would wake him. And for some reason, waking him just didn't feel right.

Nora's free hand circled around his wrist. She wanted him to wake up, even if just for a few seconds, just so she could see him and he could see her.

Adam had told her not to worry. Stupid stupid stupid. Like she'd listen to such idiotic advice. Especially from him in his condition.

Nora stayed there, beside her father for a long time. She stayed there, lost in her thoughts, constantly overthinking things, until Anne had texted her to tell her she was on her way.

Nora kissed her fathers head goodbye and left the room. She walked away from the big intimidating door with her head held high enough in her opinion and didn't look back. Looking back was always going to be a mistake. Right now, Nora deserved to go back to her aunts and spend her birthday with her loud and extremely annoying cousins, blowing out candles and eating cake. Only this year, Nora didn't feel like celebrating. She didn't feel as if she deserved to. Not with her dad lying still, emotionlessly in this bed.

Nora shook her head to clear her thoughts and walked down the corridor, her feet carried her past several rooms until she came to a waiting room. The waiting room. She chuckled inwardly.

"You're wearing a dress again. Very nicely might I add."

Nora smiled, despite the tears welling up in her eyes and turned to see Harvey stood behind her. Bloody nose and cut lip. "You always seem to show up at the worst occasions." She chuckled, it was strained.

His face dropped noticing Nora's tears and thick voice. Why did his face drop? He couldn't possibly care? They were merely strangers.

"What's the occasion?" He asked cautiously. Nora didn't understand why he would be cautious.

Nora laughed, almost bitterly and answered, "A pretty pathetic birthday."

"It's your birthday?"

Nora ignored Harvey's question and wiped her tears away. "What happened to you anyway? Don't tell me you got in a fight?"

Harvey sighed. "Yeah, I guess you can say that."

"You alright?"

"Are you?"

Nora chuckled again and looked up at Harvey. "I'm just splendid."

"When you said that your father was fine, you were-"

"Lying?"

Harvey nodded.

"Were you?" Nora asked.

"Was I what?"

"Were you lying?"

"No, the Hatter may be mad, but he didn't lie."

"So your dads doing good and your uncles still an insanity on two legs?"

Harvey chuckled softly. "Something like that."

Nora nodded slowly. Her phone buzzing in her pocket signalling that Anne was probably outside waiting.

"I should go." Nora spoke, smiling weakly. "Do yourself a favour," she pointed at his face that was beaten without a doubt, "and keep yourself out of trouble."

"Will do."

"See you later Hatter." She smiled softly, heading towards the lift.

"I hope so fairy."

Nora stepped inside the lift after a man in a wheelchair rolled out, she turned around and faced Harvey who stood by the sliding doors. "Happy Birthday Nora."

"Hmm... so it goes."