Happy Summer

The day was one of cloudy skies and drizzling rain. Despite it being summer, England's true colours and undying love for miserable weather remains. And Nora spends this day at Celle's house, an adorable country looking two story safe haven on the other side of town.

"You gonna stop looking out the window for a minute and give me a hand?" Celle asked, as she folded another shirt and placed it into her suitcase.

Celle and her family were off to Spain for two weeks. They were leaving later tonight. Celle and Nora weren't to see each other again until the new school year started. So both had decided to spend their last few hours together.

Nora got up and snorted, unattractively at that and replied, "I am not your slave Celle." Despite the fact that she was already folding a pair of trousers and packing them.

"Oh," Celle stopped what she was doing, a distant yet thoughtful look on her face, she pushed a long straight lock of chocolate hair behind her ear and said, "Well that's the only reason I keep you around. So in that case you better get going."

"Wow," Nora shook her head whilst Celle pointed towards her bedroom door.

"Go on, get going." her friend insisted stubbornly. "I don't need you."

"Fine!" Nora laughed and picked up her coat. "Have a wonderful holiday Celle. I really do hope you don't drown in the pool or anything. You know, 'cause that'd be a shame."

Celle laughed loudly, "Get out you lazy cow!"

Nora smiled and opened the door. "See you soon."

Celle nodded. "See you soon Nora."

With that Nora shut her best friends bedroom door behind her and entered the hallway. Quietly, she walks on past Celle's brother Julian's bedroom and skips down the stairs into the living room. There she finds Mr and Mrs Stown watching television. The distant voices of Rachel and Ross shouting, arguing the fact that they really were on a break. A Friends episode. Nora smiled.

Mrs Stown's brown eyes left the television screen in order to land on Nora. She smiled warmly at the girl and asked, "Celle finished packing yet?"

Nora chuckled, "Nearly there I guess." She replied.

"You're off so soon?"

Nora nodded slowly and awkwardly itched her eyebrow. "Yeah, I should probably get back to my aunt."

Celle's mother nodded and smiled. "Alright love," she said, "have a good one."

Nora returned the smile and headed towards the front door. "Will do, have a lovely holiday."

"I shall." Nora heard the woman's bright and bubbly laughter echo as she turned the door handle and left the house.

She stood on the porch and shook her head in disbelief. Those Stown's are crazy people, she thought and chuckled.

With that, Nora zipped up her coat and stuffed her hands into her pockets. Bouncing down the steps, counting them as she goes, she reached the drive and turned left out onto the street.

She walked for a while. Not even concentrating which ways she was going. Her feet knew the route home, therefore she didn't have to pay attention. Instead, she looked up at the sky and she laughed. Summer? "Yeah, I'm not so sure." She whispered.

Nora's eyes casted to the flowers growing along side the roads and the trees that shone in full bloom. Despite the spitting raindrops, the sight was delightful. The sounds were quiet. And the-

"You look like you're in a good mood."

Nora's lips trembled as disbelieving laughter escaped them and she turned around.

"Where do you even come from? It's like you appear out of thin air." She told Harvey who was walking her way, a wide toothy grin plastered on his face.

"Excuse me, I was at the corner shop getting snacks for your information. It's not my fault that you clearly follow me everywhere. I should report you, stalker." Harvey chucked back, lifting his plastic bag in emphasis.

"Yeah, you do that." Nora snorted. "You live round 'ere?" she asked him as Harvey caught up with her and they both continued walking side by side.

"My Dad does, I'm on my way back to my Mum's. How 'bout you?"

Nora shook her head, eyes trained on her feet as she walked, "No, just on my way home from a friends."

"Well.. Where do you live?"

"Down by Willonere."

"That's not far from mine, I'll walk you."

Nora shakes her head, actually looking up at Harvey, "No really, it's alright, you don't have to."

"I don't have to?"

Nora nods.

"What if I want to?" Harvey questions, raising his eyebrow challengingly.

"Then you really are mad, Hatter."

Harvey chuckles and shakes his head, when he looks back at Nora, she sees a finality in his eyes as he speaks, "I'm walking you home, Blue."

"If you say so." Nora mutters as they continue walking.

It was within five minutes of pure and utter pleasurable silence, spending the time admiring her surroundings and Harvey's absurdly comforting presence that Nora speaks up, "D'you mind if we stop somewhere on the way?"

"Not at all." Harvey smiles, swinging his plastic shopping bag at his side.

Nora nods and they continue walking. But as they reach the end of the road, instead of going forward, Nora pulls Harvey down an alley way on the right. "Not planning on murdering me in an alley are you? Thought you'd be classier than that?" He chuckles.

Nora shakes her head. "Never underestimate the stealthiness of a fairy with a shovel. Alley ways, woods, rivers, who cares. As long as you get the job done." She replies nonchalantly.

"Are you-"

"Kidding?" Nora giggles, "Yes, yes I am."

Harvey nodded, "I-I know."

Nora shakes her head, "Liar." She mutters and pulls Harvey through a gate and out into her chosen destination.

Nora feels Harvey's pace lacking behind her as she walks her way past the graves, her shoes tapping against the gravelly path that leads by the trees and the tomb stones. "Nora.." Harvey's voice is closer now, having picked up speed to tread by her side. "Why are we-"

The boy stops talking once Nora pauses in front of a particular grave stone. It was as tall as her knees, smooth and polished to perfection by the rain. In golden incrusted letters it writes,

Here lies Adam Wilton.
1971-2014
Loved father, friend & brother.

"Nora..." Harvey whispers.

"Who'd have guessed huh?" Nora chuckles sadly. "He died in early July. A little over a month ago."

"Nor-"

"Stupid, stupid drunk drivers." Nora whispers harshly, and then laughs bitterly, "I am never ever drinking a drop."

"You say that-"

"I mean that."

Harvey shakes his head. "I don't know what to say Nora." He speaks quietly.

"There isn't anything to say, other than let's get going." She replies and turns away from the grave, walking back down the path the way they came. She keeps walking, trusting that the Hatter is following. Her eyes tear up, but she refuses to let them fall and so she blinks them away. Not in front of him, she tells herself. Not in front of anyone.

A warm hand encircles around Nora's wrist though suddenly, pausing her from walking any further. And next thing she knows she's being pulled against a chest and held tightly and protectively. "Happy Summer Nora." Harvey whispers.

"Hmm... So it goes."