EIGHTEEN || Maybe You're the One, the One that's Not Putting Out

|EIGHTEEN|

"Come sit with me," Corey suggested, ducking down to rest his chin on my shoulder.

I sat with Hugo and Josie at a small round table in the cafeteria. It was late September and Micah was still off galivanting with his boyfriend's friend group, leaving Josie in awkward limbo. If she wasn't wailing about being a third wheel, she was pouting about being without a boyfriend herself. If Corey had things his way, Josie and Hugo would be new best friends and I, like Micah, would disappear.

I'd already turned down the offer several times before, but it was only creating fights. I glanced at Hugo, whose eyes immediately fell to his tray. He nodded subtly and pretended to be really interested in his green beans. Josie's eyes grew with anticipation. She never understood how I could refuse.

I took a deep breath and stood. With a victorious whoop, Corey pulled me in close and pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Finally!"

"Have fun, Ingrid!" Josie sang while I lifted my lunch tray and turned to follow Corey.

Hugo gave me his best fake smile, but his posture didn't curl in on itself like I expected it too. He remained neutral and shifted himself towards Josie. That was the only thing making me okay with leaving. At least he wasn't completely alone. Just two half-friends pretending they weren't being totally betrayed by their besties.

"I think you guys could be friends," I tried to convince Hugo last Saturday afternoon behind the register at The Bread Basket.

I sat atop the counter behind him sorting jelly packets, swinging my feet nervously.

He turned and watched me for a moment without saying anything, and then he shrugged.

"Yeah, he was really nice to me before you guys started going out. And then you did, and I became a threat, so..." He crossed his arms and met my gaze. "I'm pleasant with him. He's the one with the issue, Ingrid. I'm sorry."

I squished a strawberry jelly packet between my fingers and sighed. "Are you sure?"

Hugo rolled his eyes and turned back around. "You know, maybe I should hang out with Josie or Fiona or whatever. Some girl who isn't you."

I scowled and threw the jelly into the box. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know." He gripped the counter top with both hands and looked out across the room. I frowned deeply at him, my heart quickening with anger at the suggestion. "Maybe I wouldn't get tripped every day at practice," he said.

I blinked several times at that admission. "You said things were better."

"I've been saying a lot of things."

I gritted my teeth at the amount of attitude oozing from him. It wasn't normal. Just like with Corey, Hugo and I seemed to be constantly fighting our way through rough patch after rough patch.

"Look," I explained. "I've been trying not to prioritize him over you. I thought I was doing the right thing."

He shook his head and looked over his shoulder. "For my sake, please just put him first," he told me softly.

"This is Ingrid," Corey's voice rang in my ear, and I looked out at the group of people in front of me with a tense smile. Corey introduced me to them.

Only one other girl, Cheyanna, sat there with her boyfriend. I sunk down between her and Corey. When she threw her straight black hair over her shoulder, it brushed my arm.