The Cold Reptile

"Baaaabe, come on," he pulls at your shirt, his claws catching the fabric. "I just want to cuddle for a bit; it's cold," he whines.

You carefully dislodge his huge talons before they tear your shirt. You give him a stern look, and he subsides, looking unhappy. You sigh.

"Look, I have to finish this report or I'm going to get in serious trouble; I'm already running tight on the deadline as it is," you explain, and his eyes slide away. He knows well and good that he's the reason you're behind. You reach over and caress his scaly face, only able to do so when he crouches like this. He pushes into your touch, eyes closed, and croons softly. You can't help but smile.

"Look, it's not going to take much longer, okay? I've got a couple more paragraphs and the source page to do, and then you get your cuddles, alright?" He nods, but you can tell he's still not happy. You can't really blame him; the recent storms had left a damp coolness that seemed to permeate the house. You look into his golden-grey eyes for a moment before sighing in defeat.

"Okay, here's the deal: you go and grab the big blanket and sit behind me on the floor. We'll drape it around both of us and you can cuddle against my back. It's the best I can do until my work is done-" but he's already scrambling into the other room for the blanket, his heavy pounding steps shaking the floor. You giggle quietly at his excitement. He was so cute for such a big reptile beast.

He comes out with it already draped around him, the king-sized comforter just barely having enough size to surround his massive shoulders, looking more like an oversized shawl. You giggle at the sight; he looked like a lizard grandma. His head tilts at your amusement, but you just shake your head and wave him over.

He seats himself behind you at the desk, his legs crossed. He's still taller than you seated: his shoulders level with your head. As you pull the blanket over your shoulders, you feel him press closer, his arms circling your waist around the chair. He softly plops his big square chin on top of your head and sighs.

"Better?" you ask him, and he rumbles in his throat in affirmation. You go to begin typing again, but realize that you can't quite reach the computer anymore. You wiggle and stretch, but your big boyfriend's arms hold you fast. You're pretty sure he's tightening his hold.

"Hey." He rumbles in response. "HEY." More rumbling, but this time it sounded more like a question. "I can't reach the computer." He rumbles again, but you're not sure what the meaning is. You sigh and reach up, patting his chin on your head. "Look, I know you want the cuddles, but part of the agreement was that I could keep working," you stress, and he rumbles again. "Look, you don't have to let me go, but could you at least pull the desk closer?" He rumbles affirmation, and his huge arm releases you and stretches forward to grab the desk. With what seems like the gentlest tug on his part, the desk is now up close and within reach. He puts his arm back around you and nuzzles your head, rumbling again.

"Thank you, you big goof," you say with a pat on his arm, and he rumbles happily. As you get back to work, you make a mental note to set aside a large chunk of time to snuggle this massive beast into submission.

Some time later...

"Surprise! I'm home early," you call as you walk in the door. You carefully set your bags down as you hear the thundering footsteps rushing around the corner.

"BABE!" he yells as he scoops you up into his arms. He showers you with scaly kisses and very mildly crushes you against his chest.

"Hey...hey...can't breathe," you gasp, and he releases you, looking embarrassed. "I'd say that you missed me during my trip, then?" You say with a grin, and he smiles sheepishly, an unusual expression for one so scaly.