The Explanation

> Hey, can we talk?

You stare at your phone in confusion, the text a bit jarring. Well, maybe not so much the text, but the name it was under. You hadn't thought about the fact that Rogan's number was still in your contacts, as you never expected to hear from him again.

< Why?

You set your phone aside and stare out the window, memories stirring of your past together with him before things went wrong. The late nights, the takeout dinners, the laughter and fun you had together. But then things had changed.

> I have to tell you something. It's something I kept from you while we were together. I know it's been ages, but can we meet somewhere? Please?

You bite your lip. 

At the time, he'd been the love of your life; nothing had ever seemed as good as the days you spent with him. It was an amazing period of your life. But toward the end of things, he'd started to disappear for longer and longer periods of time and wouldn't ever answer your questions when you'd ask him where he'd been. It had ultimately led to a breakup, and it had taken you a while to heal from it.

< Why now? And why can't you just tell me through text?

Though to be honest...

> I'll answer that when I see you, and you won't believe me unless we meet in person.

...you weren't sure you'd healed at all.

< Fine. The usual place in an hour?

> Okay. I'll see you soon.

---

You shake your leg nervously as you fidget in your seat. You weren't at all sure about this situation, but whatever was going on, you felt you knew Rogan well enough to know that whatever he had to say was important. He'd never do something like this if it was something trivial.

You think about the last time you were together, and the fight you'd had.

Rogan had shown up on your doorstep disheveled and reeking of sweat and dirt after having been gone for three days with no contact. When you'd tried to ask him what had happened and where he'd been, he refused to tell you, stating instead that he just wanted a moment to breathe, and gotten angry when you persisted. It led to an all-out shouting match that ended in you kicking him out and refusing to speak to him again. He'd tried to make it up to you a handful of times, but after a couple of weeks of you ignoring him, he'd finally left you alone.

You weren't really sure if you'd been happy about that.

Now, here you were years later, sitting at the table where the two of you had had your first date, in the cafe that you had run to by chance when a sudden rainstorm had derailed your actual plans that day. You stare at the cup of bitter coffee before you and blink back tears as the good memories wash over you. You really had been so happy with him.

The door opens, sending the bell ringing through the small space, and you look up to see Rogan standing there, scanning the seats for you. Your heart flutters at the sight of his unusual green-bronze skin and sharp tusks shining in the evening sun. He was the orc you remembered, but...

He looked... different. His plaited obsidian hair was a bit longer, and there were a few more beads in it, as well as a bit more grey. He seemed to be a bit bigger, too; you don't remember him being quite so... buff. Granted, it had been a few years, but still, something else about him felt different at first glance, but you couldn't place it.

Rogan's steel-grey eyes find yours and he visibly sighs before stepping fully into the cafe. As he walks toward you, you feel your heart clench and try to force yourself to relax. Whatever it was he had to say, you had to keep calm and not get emotional.