Chapter Five

Mrs. Vous and Vanessa are waiting for the three of us at the doorway for the living area.  I stop with them while Ciara and Jack go ahead of us.

"Still nervous?" Vanessa smiles at me. I nod. "Don't be. He's a great guy."

"He's been nice so far," I agree. He might be a great guy, but that doesn't mean that we will be great together. It's not like that is something I fear, but it is something to be concerned about. As we walk into the kitchen, I admire the posters and photos that he has framed on the walls. Some of them are promotional posters from matches that he has competed in. Many of the photos are magazine covers that have been blown up for the wall. He looks as almost as airbrushed in real life as he does on the photos.

As we walk into the kitchen, David is speaking with the chef on the far side of the kitchen and smiles at me. I smile back a bit shy still. Lizzy is standing at the island and facing me with her hands under her chin. Jack and Ciara are sitting there and Jack stands up so I can have his seat.

"Thank you," I say softly. He gives a slight nod.

"I wasn't for this sugar baby thing, but he's been nice to us so far," Ciara signs to us. I see Vanessa glance over to see what we are doing. Many people don't know American Sign Language when they see it so this gives the four of us a bit of privacy to communicate with each other. Lizzy nods to agree with Ciara and signs, "Respectful."

Jack farrows his brows and signs, "He has no respect for me. I feel the same about him." I use my arm to pull him into a half-hug.

"I know, Frost. That will be fixed," I say to him softly. He drapes his long arm over my shoulder. "Better be, at least," I look David up and down as he comes over to us.

"Drinks anyone?" He smiles widely.

Vanessa walks over, pouring herself a glass of rum, "I'm already on it. I'll get rum for... not everyone."

I roll my eyes, "It's not like I'm driving home, and one glass won't kill me."

"You're eighteen. You are not getting a glass of rum," David furrows his brows.

"So I can sip from yours, right?" I bat my eyes like a kid asking for candy. He cracks a slight smile and chuckles.

"No, because if I let one of you drink, I have to let all of you. I'm not condoning underage drinking. Sorry, Princess," he comes behind me and kisses the top of my head.

Jack cuts his eyes at David slightly and says, "I'll drink soda with you guys so you won't be left out."

Tension, again. Why do I like my men as stubborn as my best friend?

"Any who, you said we're having American food for dinner. Got any specifics in mind?" Lizzy breaks the awkward silence.

"Chef Xena and her staff can cook almost anything from scratch. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing her work a grill!" Vanessa cuts in without really answering the question.

Ciara's eyes light up when she here that Chef Xena is in the kitchen, "You mean the Chef Xena is cooking for us?" Vanessa nods and takes a sip of her rum while pouring David's glass. "I'm gonna cry! I met her at her recipe cook release and she's amazing!"

"I would like to hope that I am. Plus, I'm here often so you might be able to actually learn some tips that aren't in the book," Chef Xena walks in and I have to catch Ciara. This girl is a fainting goat, I promise. Xena laughs a little and smiles at her adoring fan.

It is so strange to be in the presence of people like them. The ones that are successful and admired by many. They have it figured out. They're smiling and happy. I see why people long to be in a room with this kind of energy.