Chapter Three: Luca

The sound of a key in the lock has Luca walking out of the kitchen and into the living room. He shouldn't have been surprised to see Jamie there, carrying a large pot and a familiar white bag over one arm.

"You know, she really doesn't need anything else. Her dresser can't close, as it is."

Jamie just shakes his head, walking past his friend to get to the kitchen. "A girl can never have too many clothes." He walks back over to his friend, and Luca hands over his daughter.

"Oh, you are getting so big, peanut," Jamie coos, cradling her in his arms. She is looking at him with half-slitted eyes, almost asleep. "And getting more beautiful by the day. I didn't think that was possible, but you're proving me wrong." He presses a gentle kiss onto the baby's cheek. "And I don't usually like that, but for you, I'll make an exception.

Jamie looks back up at Luca, eyes roving over his body. "You need a shower and to tame that beard of yours. It's not so hot when you let it get that long." He walks over to the coffee pot, holding Noelle in one arm as he pours himself a steaming hot cup of coffee. "And after you look human again, you can have some of this breakfast I brought over."

He doesn't wait for Luca to argue, just raising an eyebrow at his friend while waiting for Luca to get moving. Knowing that Jamie will eventually get his way anyway, Luca doesn't attempt to argue with him. Jamie could be stubborn, and Luca wasn't. One of the many reasons their friendship worked.

Leaving his daughter and best friend, Luca makes his way up the stairs to the bathroom. A shower does sound amazing, and he can't even remember the last time he had one. Lifting an arm, he doesn't even have to try too hard to catch the scent wafting off of him. It has clearly been too long.

Once in the shower, Luca starts to scrub at his body and hair, mind wandering. He had to admit, he hasn't been taking the best care of himself over the last couple of days. His focus has been on his daughter, making sure that she isn't wanting for anything. But since he is currently on paternity leave, he has nothing to occupy his mind whenever his daughter is sleeping and his thoughts catch up with him.

While he had told himself that he would get over Becca leaving him and Noelle and not focus on her, it was easier said than done. He kept going over his memories of her, and now that she was no longer in his life, his mind was clear of bias.

It was becoming clearer to him that she never really loved him. He was a convenience, something that kept her unsettled since her parents didn't like him. But once Noelle came, the ropes were tightening, and she no longer had the freedom she wanted.

Luca found himself wondering if she ever cheated on him. He didn't want to think about it, but it was a bitter seed that had been planted in his mind. He would need to be tested, not trusting her anymore.

After Luca was certain that the last of the gruesome smells were gone, he turned off the water and walked over to the mirror. It was still slightly foggy, even though the fan was going. But he saw a blurry outline of himself.

Grabbing his electric razor, trimming down the hairs so that it looked like he had a five o'clock shadow instead of something a bird had created for a nest.

Using his towel, he dried off his hair. His hair was already starting to curl, the ringlets looser than his mom's, but still there nonetheless.

He stepped out into his bedroom and quickly got dressed before heading back downstairs. Jamie was sitting on the couch watching television, Noelle fast asleep on his chest. The sight caused Luca's chest to tighten.

Jamie looked up once he entered the room. "I made a plate up for you once I heard you stumbling around in your room." He gestures at the plate sitting in front of him on the coffee table. "Here. Sit."

Luca did as Jamie said, and his stomach grumbled as he inhaled the scent of breakfast. The plate was steaming, with scrambled eggs, some bacon, and a potato scramble. There was even juice sitting next to the plate and a mug of coffee, as well.

Jamie watched him as Luca ate, and Luca raised a questioning brow. "What?" he asked once he swallowed the food in his mouth.

"We need to get you out of this rut," Jamie says, pulling the blanket more snug across Noelle. It isn't healthy to be living like this, Luca."

"I'm fine."

Jamie just gives his friend a disbelieving face, head tilted to the side. "When was the last time you had a proper meal or shower? What about sleep?"

Luca doesn't bother answering his friend, just eating more of his breakfast. A hand settles on his leg, and he is startled into looking up at Jamie.

"I'm worried about you, Luca." His eyes are round, the man clearly distraught. It causes guilt to sit heavy in his stomach. He has never been one to deny Jamie, and his best friend has used that against him endlessly. But the look still squeezes his heart. "Something needs to change."

Luca just finds himself nodding along, knowing that Jamie is right. "I'll figure something out."

Jamie shakes his head. "Nuh-uh. We'll figure something out. I'm not leaving you on your own anymore."

Noelle stirs on Jamie's chest, and the man pulls his hand away from Luca's thigh to gently rub the babies back, cooing at her softly until she falls silent. With his hand gone from Luca's thigh, so is the warmth, and Luca finds himself missing it.

"God knows how you survived this long without me," he says, the smile on his lips causing Luca to snort out a laugh. "It will be like when we were in undergrad."

That does make Luca laugh, reminiscing on them living together for the entire four years they were in undergrad. "You mean with you bringing home a different guy every night, and still having enough time to make us both eat healthy and workout."

A crooked smile spreads across Jamie's lips. "You needed me, so I was there. If I wasn't you probably would have let yourself go completely because you always refuse to ask for help."

"I'm lucky to have you, Jamie," Luca says, meaning every word. Jamie has always been the worrier, wanting to take care of others around him. It's why he became a physical therapist, having an ingrained need to help others. And since they tended to be together more often than not, Luca was usually the subject of his worrying and caring.

A look passes over his best friend's face, one that Luca can't decipher, but he has a sudden urge to pull Jamie in a tight hug. But when he goes to grab Jamie's hand, he slides his hand away.

"I've got to head out. My shift starts soon."

He gently maneuvers Noelle off his chest, pressing a kiss against the baby's cheek when she starts to stir before handing her over to her still confused father. Something is stirring inside of Luca, making him want to squirm in his seat. It takes everything in him to stay still, not wanting to be rejected by Jamie again.

"I'll see you later?" Luca asks, readjusting Noelle so that she is snugger against his chest. It makes the baby relax again, falling back asleep.

"Yeah." Jamie pushes himself up from the couch, moving over to the front door. "Don't forget to eat, Luca. The leftovers are in the fridge."

And before Luca can say anything else, Jamie is out the door, stepping into the brisk fall air outside.

The unease stirring in his stomach before doesn't dissipate once Jamie is gone. In fact, it only seems to grow stronger. Shaking his head, Luca gets up from the couch, heading for his bedroom. Maybe he should get some sleep as Jamie had said, or else he felt like he would go mad, trying to parse out exactly what had happened in the living room.