Chapter Sixteen: Jamie

Jamie finds himself exhausted as he walks out of the clinic. Matilda had somehow convinced him to come to happy hour with her, even though he just wanted to go home to Luca. That thought had him pausing for a second.

Home.

Yes, well, he shouldn't be too surprised. He has been spending as much time as possible with Luca and Noelle. Hell, he had even been the one to take Noelle to her last check-up, when Luca was too busy at work. The other many had been nervous as hell to return to work, but his three-month paternity leave had expired. It took a lot of convincing from Jamie that Noelle would be fine. Their parents had been alternating watching her during the day. None of them wanted her to go to daycare yet, and their parents had been almost a little too happy to oblige.

Luca had a late shift at his clinic and wouldn't be getting out until seven, which is the reason that Matilda was dragging him out for happy hour. She was still finishing up with a client, so Jamie was just going to meet her at their favorite spot.

His phone rang as he was driving to the restaurant, automatically clicking over to his Bluetooth. Without looking to see who it was, he answered.

"Hello?"

"My lawyer just sent me an email."

Jamie finds his heart pounding, dread settling in his stomach. "Oh? And what did she say?"

"She wants me to come in. Apparently, Becca's parents aren't easily appeased. They refuse to back down with the contract we sent over. They are still going to try for full custody and no visitation rights for me."

His voice is taking on that desperate, sad tone again, and Jamie can't stand it. "Remember, love, just one step at a time. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Just go to the meeting and figure out what we need to do next, alright?" Luca let's out a monotonous hum. The worry inside Jamie gets stronger. "Do you want me to come to you? I'm sure Matilda won't mind."

She would, but no use saying that to Luca.

"No, I'm fine. I have a few hours left here. Besides, I don't want to be the target for Matilda's wrath." He chuckles at his words, and it relieves some of the tension building inside Jamie. "I'll email Raquel back and set up the meeting. You're right, no use getting worked up about it."

"Luca... don't be belittling yourself. It's understandable that you're worried." Jamie's car comes to a stop as he parks, sitting in front of the small restaurant. "Are you sure you don't want me to swing by."

This time, Jamie can practically hear the smile in the other man's voice. "No, I'll be fine. I'll see you later."

Jamie lets out a long sigh. "Fine. I'll bring you back some food and pick up Noelle on my way back. See you back at the house?"

"Sounds good. Love you."

The offhand comment still catches Jamie off guard, despite it being nearly a month since Luca had first said the words. He shakes himself from his shock. "Love you too."

The line beeps after Luca hangs up, and Jamie slouches in his seat as he waits for Matilda. What a long day already. At least he has some delicious, inexpensive drinks to look forward too.

He sits in his car, scrolling on his phone while he waits for Matilda to show up. The wait isn't too long, thank goodness. She pulls up about ten minutes later and knocks on his window, startling him out from the article he had been reading.

Her mouth spreads into a large smile at seeing him jump, and he quickly gets out of the car. "Do you take pleasure in trying to give me heart attacks?"

She waits for him to lock his door before looping her arm through his. "Of course. You know it's good for your heart since you've been slacking on your runs."