C16 - Are you the fire or just another flame?

Chapter sixteen - Are you the fire or just another flame?

"just pretend to be my date." I whispered to Jonah as I clutched onto his arm as I entered 'Lettuce turnip the beet'. I desperately needed to figure out who this person was. As much as Ethan knew how much I hurt Noah he knew I wanted to make things right. He 'casually' slipped out that Noah would be attending the restaurant at a quarter to seven on the Wednesday the 3rd.

We stood at the lectern waiting to be seated, the maître d' came over and seated us at a table for two. I turned to Jonah and whispered that I was going to the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror, dissatisfied as normal but went to re-apply my lipstick.

"Sorry to bother you but I love you shoes and your makeup looks stunning. Seriously doing your eyebrows like that is incredible." a smile emerged onto my face. The fact that I didn't know this girl made the compliment sincerer and heartwarming.

"Thank you. It took me a while."

"well I'd love to do it that effortlessly. Have a nice night."

Love. She had said. Love is genuine like her not vindictive like me. there was no way such a lovely girl could do what I did. I hope no one thinks of me like that, I don't think I could handle that disappoint. Still, I left the bathroom with an irreversible smile.

"IN COMING!" I heard someone yell. I ducked just as a tray and waiter walked past me.

"Oh, thank god." I mumbled. I missed that one but bumped into another, this time it wasn't at the waiter... it was the chef and he held five bowls of sweltering tomato and kale soup that landed right on the bottom my cream blouse and my light wash denim jeans. "Fan-freaking-tastic." I reached into my clutch and pulled out a plethora of napkins and tried, key word tried, to remove the wet substance of my body. As you could possibly tell it didn't work so I had to haul my ass back to the ladies' room. My bad luck did not just end just yet as I collided with another body; another waiter but not some random worker but Noah.

"That's not blood is it? God, I don't want to have to sit in the emergency room just because you weren't looking where you were going." The words left his mouth like vinegar.

"Blood? No, it's tomato soup. Now if you'd excuse me I need to clean myself up." God that was awkward. Why did every time I embarrassed myself around Noah it was because of a red substance?

"Oh my god, are you okay? That's not-" I looked up to the girl from earlier.

"no. no. it's just tomato soup. Uh aren't you the girl from earlier? Why are you in here again?"

"bad macaroni and cheese. I should really stay away from dairy. Here let me help."

Thirty minutes later with soap and water it was starting to fade but still present, so I opened up my phone and messaged Jonah.

Alexis Cooper – hey something happened...

Jonah Sugg – your lady thing? 🙈😬🙊

Alexis Cooper – God no but, can I borrow your hoodie? 😬

Jonah Sugg – sure... how are you gonna get it?

Alexis Cooper – a blonde girl is going to come up to your table. She is wearing a red leather jacket. Hand it to her and I'll meet you at the table shortly after that. Thanks.

Jordan; the girl from the bathroom aka my savior, rushed back into the bathroom with a baby blue zip up hoodie in her left hand. I slightly thanked the universe and we rushed out.

"Jordan?" Noah exclaimed as I bellowed "Noah?"

"Alexis what you are doing with Jordan?" he questioned me.

"how do you know her?"

"she's my date and you haven't answered my question."

"Uh you guys obviously have a lot going, I'm just going to leave." She said awkwardly. Just as she left Jonah rushed up to me.

"Hey, are you alright?" he put his hand on my shoulder

"Jonah? What?" Noah looked half mad and half disappointed.

"hey, Jonah, I'll be back in a second." He left.

"so, you're dating again?"

"yeah so what's it got to do with you? She's treats me like a human being, are you jealous that you can't?" the bitterness was astounding.

"yeah I admit I deserved that and it ah- it hurts to see you around with other girls."

"so, what? it's not like you're not doing the same. There's no way you expect me to believe that that's your hoodie. I saw Jordan holding it after a guy handed it to her and rush off to the ladies room." My hand reached up to adjust it. "And anyway, that's your problem that you can't handle me moving on. I don't live my life to your expectations."

He pushed past me. I saw him grab Jordan's hand who turned to me and offered me a smile. Lacey would get angry with the girl, but Alexis will get angry at herself. How was Jordan supposed to know that she would come across a random girl in the bathroom who had a past with her date.

After the disastrous conversation with Noah I arrived back at the table with Jonah's hoodie draped over my shoulders.

"Thank you again for the hoodie and sorry you've had to wait to eat. I know the fastest way to a man's heart-"
"is through his rib cage!" Jonah joked, and the mood immediately lightened.