Chapter 3

Mrs. Maheswaran pulled up her car by the side of the road.
The vehicle's tyres screeched before it finally made a halt as Connie awoke from her slumber.

She noticed her mother's widened, terror struck eyes as she looked out through the front window of the car.
Connie immediately questioned
"M- mom! Why did we stop?",
panic arising within her.
She looked out the windows to see pure darkness surrounding the car.
"Look!", her mother pointed out the front window before she bolted out of the vehicle.
Connie rubbed her eyes as her vision adjusted through a hazy, blurry sight.
As she gained better view, she saw something on the road to be a small jelly bean - blob like figure laying flat in the middle of open road.
The headlights reflected over Mrs. Maheswaran's white coat as she knelt down onto the road to assist the blob.

As connie looked closer she noticed, the hair. The reddish - pink shirt.
The blue jeans. It was Steven!
At that exact moment, Connie hastily threw open the car door and got outside on the road.
She sprinted over to her mother's direction and dropped down with both her knees onto the hard road. Forgetting that she had worn shorts, her knees were scraped harshly as drops of blood spewed out from the tiny cuts that accumulated, causing tears to form over her eyes.

"Steven?", she cried as she placed her hands onto Steven's body laying flat on the road.
Before connie could say anything more,
her Mother immediately rolled over Steven's body and placed her ear over his chest.
She sighed as she heard his heartbeats, but she was still agitated.
"Connie, this is Mr. Universe's car wash right?...", Mrs. Maheswaran gestured her eyes over to the building near them.
".... go find him now and get him here while I bring Steven to the car!"

Connie did not hesitate and darted straight for Greg's van. The pain on her knees scalded her sensations but it did not stop her from running.
Once she reached the back door of the van, she frantically knocked on the door as she called out Greg's name.
"Mr universe?!",
No answer. She pounded on the door a few more times hollering out Greg's name but all the while, there was no reply.

The feeling of worry and panic was all in her head. She was so horrified when she saw Steven laying flat on the road like that. It rose concern in her so badly that even the tears that flowed from her eyes weren't just caused by the painful sensation on her knees she endured, but were also because she was so flustered and shocked.
To see Steven laying on the road in the middle of the night was not something to not be concerned of.
After a few more helpless pleads on the van door, Connie eventually gave up and decided to run back to the car. However before she could, she tripped over something. "Oof..", she exclaimed as she got herself up and dusted herself from the fall.

She inspected the area and found a metal rod laying on the ground.
"What the-...", she blurted before picking up the rod to inspect it.
She gasped as she noticed a red sticky fluid on it's end.
Instead of throwing it back onto the ground, she ran back to the car with it in hopes that it could probably explain on why Steven was on the road.

Mrs. Maheswaran laid Steven at the backseat of the car as Connie went up to her in a heap of nervousness.
Mrs. Maheswaran looked around and asked,
"Where is Steven's dad?!",
"He's not here! I have no idea where he is!", Connie replied, only to be dismissed by her mother.
Both got onto the front seats.
"Mom, what do we do?!",
Connie exclaimed before fastening her seatbelt.
"...We're going home. We need to get him somewhere safe to heal him and question him when he wakes up!"
Mrs. Maheswaran replied in a stern voice.
"But.. what about Mr Universe?",
Connie asked as she grasped hardly onto the metal rod she held.
Yet again, Connie's Mom dismissed her and she immediately pressed the gas.