|Chapter Nine|

It had been the best part of a week since Ivar and Kendra had arrived King Harald's home. The best part of a week since Kendra and Ivar had finally had sex, the relationship had only grown stronger. Ivar and his brothers teaching Kendra the ways of their people. Although, Kendra kept seeing the shieldmaiden lingering around. Ivar appreciated how defensive she became of him. The talks of the up and coming battle, the attempt to reclaim Kattegat were picking up. Ivar and Harald spending days discussing strategy, the brother's overseeing matters of alliances and training.

Kendra watching Elwin play ball with some of the other children, noticing how they treated him differently. Not only because of his legs but, the face that he was a Christian. Their parents would stay close and watch on, she could tell Elwin would try not to take the situation to heart. Every day he would ask to go out and play with them. She couldn't help but appreciate his resilience and mentality to skim over such details.

It was as she was watching on and keeping herself busy with sewing, when she looked up and noticed a young man approach with a letter.

"a note from Ivar princess" The man gave a small nod as she smiled and read the letter. Just word that he will be back tonight, wanted to have dinner and the evening alone, that he had arranged for a thrall as they were known here to take Elwin for the night. Kendra's lips tugged at a smile as she looked at the young man and nodded.

"Please tell Ivar that I will be waiting for him" she smiled, the boy nodding as he turned and walked away, back to relay the confirmation. Kendra had decided to get up and approached Elwin, asking him he wished to join her while she grabbed some bits from the stalls. Only to be declined as she laughed, Elwin reassuring her that he is having fun and will wait inside if the game stops.

~*~*~*~

Kendra was enjoying the walk as she took in the smells and sounds of the markets, nothing like home she though. The jewellery was different, yet beautiful. The flowers different yet intriguing. The one consistent factor being the smell of whale carcass. Every time she would think she was okay and over it, another wave would pass under her nose. Kendra smiled at eyeing up a gift, thinking of whether Ivar would like it. A simple leather chain with what looked like a horse head hanging lose. The item itself reminding her of the moment they shared in his chariot, when Ivar had returned from their last battle. Kendra gave the trader the money and purchased the gift, moving on to the food stalls. The traders and townsfolk kept friendly with her, asking of her home out of curiosity, some even wishing her a safe stay. Kendra having collected the food she required, she started making her way back to their current house. Elwin still playing and laughing with one child, Kendra gave him a small smile not wanting to embarrass him.

Kendra made her way inside the house, placing some flowers she had purchased on the table. Feeling like they had already brightened up the communal room. Hiding Ivar's gift on a shelf, laying out the food to readily prepare for dinner. Looking at the sun light disappearing, hoping it would be ready in time for Ivar.

"Princess" a voice disrupted Kendra from her thoughts, she looked over her shoulder noticing a thrall enter the room. Her face showing shock at Kendra busying herself preparing dinner. The thrall cleared her throat before speaking. "Would you like me to take over?" she asked diverting her gaze at the counter surface.

"I am quite all right. However, could you please try to arrange for a tub to be brought here? Ivar may want a bath later" Kendra smiled at the thrall, the shock still evident. "Do wives not cook for their husbands here?" Kendra asked, lightening her tone for humour.

"Not of your status princess" the thrall laughed gently. Before, noticing she may have said too much. "I will arrange a tub for you princess" The thrall nodded.