|Chapter Eleven|

It had been over a week since miscarriage, Ivar had waited by Kendra's bed every day. The healers had visited to help feed Kendra, even taking care of her with all sorts of remedies. Ivar wouldn't have any of it, he wanted to be the one to take care her. Bring her back to him, he knew she was in there. She was just locked away, she wouldn't speak or move. But he knew she was there. She could hear everything, he would bring her back to him. Ivar had cancelled the plans to return to Kattegat, knowing Kendra was too weak to travel. Hvitserk had gone back to mediate, Ivar trusted Hvitserk to not take over, but to help in the aftermath of the war. Ivar watched as Kendra slept, he had so many questions to ask, so much to tell her. Slowly crawling onto the bed to lay beside her, he held her hand and gently brushed her hair out of her face.

"I know you're in there, wife" Ivar whispered to her, she looked so peaceful as she slept. "I know I can't reach you right now. But I am right here waiting for you" He kept his tone soft and his voice low. "I am right here, waiting for you Kendra" He paused as he kissed her cheek tenderly. "It is usually you are waiting for me" He joked as he looked up at her. "But I am right here. As I have been since you fell ill. I am waiting for you" Ivar finished. Resting his head on her chest. His fingers traced invisible patterns on the top of her night dress that were visible above the furs. Closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep on top of her.

When Ivar woke up, he felt fingers playing with his hair, his eyes blinked open adjusting to the light. He saw Elwin cuddled up on the other side of the bed. As he had done numerous times since Kendra falling ill. Ivar could see how he cared for her, how he worried about her. What Ivar had realised the most, is how he had grown to car for Elwin. A child he saw so much of himself in, with so many more opportunities and good things in his life, the things Ivar had imagined and dreamed he had in his ideal childhood. As if Elwin could read his mind his eyes opened, smiling at Ivar as Ivar smiled back. In that moment he had almost forgot the hands playing with his hair. Ivar tilted his head, looking at Kendra and how her eyes were closed, he fingers toying with his hair. A sensation he had missed for so long.

"you're awake my love?" Ivar asked gently, Elwin looking up at her as he lips tugged at a smile.

"I couldn't stay away too long now, could I?" Kendra whispered back, her voice hoarse and unused. "Not when my two men are right beside me" she coughed, speaking already tiring her out.

"Please. Rest. Don't talk" Ivar rolled onto his front now looking at her fully. He felt emotions rage through him, good ones, he hadn't had that before. His feelings often depicted rage and anger, but now he was happy, content and even elated. Her blue eyes open before him, her lashes fluttering as he had remembered longing to see again.

"We will be right here" Elwin chimed as he smiled cuddling up closer to her. Kendra nodding at them, as she closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.

~*~*~*~

It was the evening by the time Kendra had woken up again, Elwin had retired to his own room to sleep. Ivar had made his way back to house, returning with food from the feast. He saw Kendra's eyes open as she sat up in the bed watching her husband walk up to her.

"You bring food" Kendra smiled at him.

"As I have done all these days my love" Ivar smiled back, using his crutch to make his way to the bed. Kendra smiled at him watching him rest on the edge of the bed, scooping the food on a spoon and bringing it to her lips.

"it is easier to feed you now you are awake" Ivar joked smiling at her as she swallowed a mouthful of food.

"I really appreciate you waiting for me Ivar, staying by my side" Kendra started, her voice still croaky from the ordeal.