|Chapter Twelve|

it had been a day or two after you had set sail, leaving King Harald's realm for Kattegat. The boat was bumping along with the waves, but the weather had been good. Kendra feeling grateful for it, given what she was leaving behind. Her nerves a constant mess, with the thoughts of her arrival, the danger and fear that laid ahead. Even the sight of her new home in the aftermath of the battle. Elwin had taking this journey in his stride... the only thing he had missed was his friends. Ivar had helped in cheering him up with the promise of new friends.

The feel of a hand on her shoulder had drawn Kendra back to reality. Kendra turning to find Ivar's blue eyes looking at her. She gave him a small smile, as he moved his hand from her shoulder to her hand. Taking it in his own and bringing it to his lips placing a gentle kiss to it.

"what are you thinking about?" Ivar asked, his tone laced with concern.

"I was thinking about Kattegat, I am nervous that is all" Kendra gave Ivar a reassuring smile, taking her hand and rubbing his cheek. Ivar tilted his hand to her embrace.

"I will not let any harm come to you Kendra" His hand placed on the back of hers, his lips pressing to her palm.

"I know you won't Ivar" Kendra smiled, kissing his forehead. "It is not harm I fear, more rejection" she nodded.

"they will grow to love you, you will be fair and sweet in all the ways you are" Ivar added, a smile on his lips.

"I do hope you are right Ivar... at the very least be civil if they can't accept me" Kendra smiled. Ivar resting his head on Kendra's lap, the feel of her dress soft against his face. He smiled to himself, enjoying the momentary rest.

"I love you Kendra, more than I thought possible to love another" Ivar states, his voice low enough for only Kendra to hear. She ran her fingers through his hair, rough with the splashes of the waves. Sea salt hardening and matting his brown locks.

"I love you to Ivar". Kendra smiled, leaning into Ivar, and kissing his hairline. "now rest you will need it" Kendra smiled to herself, feeling Ivar relax against her.

~*~*~*~

The shore and coast could be seen ahead of them, cheers erupting from the men on the boats. Elwin's eyes going wide at the sight of the docks, the sight of the people and the cliff tops. Kendra could feel her stomach turning within her. The boat drawing closer, the with sound of men jumping into the water and pulling the boat with them.

Kendra looked to Ivar, now positioned at the front of the boat. His eyes met hers and he smiled, his lips mouthing the words are you ready? As Kendra nodded at him and smiled. Turning to Elwin and tying up his cloak around his neck. Ivar leaning down and tightening his breaches around his leg, watching for the men to depart. Ivar using his crutches to stand with Kendra at his side, Elwin in her arms.

"We are home" Ivar smiled, kissing her forehead.

"Home sounds nice" Kendra whispered as she watched Ivar step first, walking behind him off the plank and down the dock. Ivar rubbing men's shoulders displaying gratitude and wishing them well. Kendra could feel the eyes of the people, hearing the whispers, as if their words and looks burned her flesh. Kendra tightened her grip around Elwin, almost to protect him. Hvitserk greeted Ivar, Ubbe eventually joining, the three of them partaking in a hug.

"Kattegat is ours brothers" he cheered. Ivar smiling and nodding.

"We have to decide as to who is doing what" Ivar added "what our plans are and discuss future tasks.

"But first brother, you must rest. Settle in to your home with Kendra and Elwin" Ubbe smiled, rubbing his shoulder. Hvitserk nodding in agreement.

"Kattegat can wait a day brother, sleep... bathe... we will celebrate tomorrow" Hvitserk smiled. Ivar looked to Kendra, seeing Elwin's sleepy frame in her arms.

Different Worldsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें