36

36 : the chase
song : lovely - billie eilish & khalid
note: 8D audio listen with headphones

When I regained consciousness I was met with the pungent scent of cigarette smoke, causing me to scrunch my nose in disgust

When I regained consciousness I was met with the pungent scent of cigarette smoke, causing me to scrunch my nose in disgust. Although I was very used to the scent after my fathers friends would constantly smoke in our home–much to my mothers dismay–I still couldn't stand it and wanted to febreze the whole building.

My eyes were unbelievably dry and as I blinked away the blurriness, I could only notice it more and more. Eventually I was able to take in my surroundings and was sent into a frenzy at the memory of what had happened.

I don't remember much more than being drugged and dragged out of the telephone booth, after that I lost consciousness.

I was surprised when I took in my surroundings, finding that I wasn't chained up in some dirty old basement. Instead I'm tied to a chair sat perfectly in the middle of an empty, white room. Theres one dull light overhead that does a poor job at illuminating the entirety of the room, making it nearly impossible to see what resided in the outskirts of the area.

Glancing down to my feet on the floor, I quickly took notice of a clear piece of plastic laid out underneath my chair that spread for some distance in each direction.

I felt any hope I'd had quickly dissolve as I immediately had a good idea what purpose it was planned to serve.

I struggled against the rope that was digging mercilessly into my arms and legs, but of course to no avail.

Looking to my left, I noticed there was a window with boards nailed over it. My heart in my chest began beating erratically, and I could feel the sweat on my palms only increase as I realized just exactly how absolutely fucked I am.

Here I am, sat in some building in Germany tied to a chair with absolutely no idea who's taken me or why they've taken me.

Ian's cold words rang in my mind from our unfinished phone call that I wasn't sure happened an hour or a day ago at this point. Even though what he'd said stung me and made me defensive, I now wish I'd just listened to him and jumped on a plane when he'd told me to.

The comment he made about me being disappointed when I find my father was enough to make me curious, and as I sat here in this silent room with one flickering yellow light hanging above me, I couldn't help but think about it. What did he mean? Why would I be disappointed when I found him?

"Well, well, if it isn't Miss Grace, how funny running into you here." A disembodied voice followed the sound of a closing door that of course was out of my view.

A shaky breath escaped my lips at the sound of Giovanni's voice and suddenly the situation is so much realer and so much more threatening. My heart began pounding faster, trying to escape my body as I sat, firmly tied to the chair below me.