Chapter Sixty-Two

IT WAS ONLY May, but the summer cicadas were already singing their summer night's anthem and the darkness of the spring night was sporadically lit by the randomness of slow golden flashing fireflies floating weightlessly through the serene spring air. 10PM on a May Missouri night is often dark, calm, and peaceful. Tonight was no different. A tranquil breeze carried an amalgam of aromas from the newly-bloomed flowers, flowing through the towering trees with a soothing whoosh as the leaves gently swayed, filling any void of silence.

But on this summer-like landscape, there existed a singular curio, contemporaneous to the soothing serene scene of spring, as though a vile string of profanity had been haphazardly inserted into a Robert Frost poem.

There was a click, rhythmically repeating in concert with a flashing orange light. An ominous hiss scarred the soundscape, occasionally disrupted by a desultory gurgle. A creak, or a squeak, or a shriek could be heard somewhere in the dark. An inexplicable hum; but it too lacked consistency and mixed with the inharmonious cacophony of the turbulent stillness.

In the distant foreground of the landscape, there muttered two other lone, faint sounds: The first, the silent whisper of the dying; the second, the deafening sulfuric silence of the dead.