Chapter One Hundred One

THE EARLY SUNRISE was upon them. As they all stood in McGarry's lower-level office. Late Tuesday night had become early Wednesday morning. But no man showed any sign of fatigue as their discussions with Lieutenant Governor of Missouri regarding the election rigging, bribery, and corruption (going as high as the Governor himself) continued and details pieced themselves together.

Within a few hours of the phone call made by Lieutenant Governor McGarry, three special agents of the FBI were in his office with Mitch, Keating, and Knight, eager to take their statements.

Much to Knight's displeasure, this had become a federal issue and was in the jurisdiction of the FBI.

"You know," Knight said as he spoke candidly with the three FBI agents, "this was my case. I broke this case. I know everything about this case."

"We know," one of the agents said; a tall dark-haired man in his early 40s who called himself Agent Smith, "and we will definitely pass on the credit. We aren't here to take away credit, we're here to solve this."

"I appreciate that," Knight said with mild shock and confusion in his voice. He was expecting the quintessential territorial pissing match over jurisdiction.

"This isn't like the movies," another agent said, Agent Mallory, an attractive middle-aged blonde woman, "where the Feds show up and say, 'We'll take it from here.' If you've been in on the investigation, you'll work right here with us."

"Exactly," the third agent said, another young man who identified himself as Agent Anderson., "So let's shut this down together."

"Sounds like a plan," Lenny said.

"What about us?" Keating said, motioning to himself and Mitch.

"You guys are key witnesses," Agent Mallory said, "so when the U.S. Attorney gets here, he'll talk to you so that he can get an arrest warrant for this woman, Lenore Sable, the governor, and Ray Doyle.

"Wait," Mitch interjected, "why is Ray being arrested?"

"Well," the male agent said, "it sounds like he's complicit in this entire voter fraud scheme."

"But he—" Mitch said before being interrupted.

"He has to at least be detained," Agent Anderson interjected, "because we will definitely have questions for him.

"Ray Doyle is my best friend," Mitch said in a declaratory tone. "Please don't arrest him."

"Mitch," Lenny said, approaching him and placing a hand on his shoulder, "I think we crossed that bridge a long time ago."

And then, seemingly on-cue, Ray Doyle walked into McGarry's office.

No one was quite sure what to say — no one, except Ray.