Part 5 (2)

We’d made it down for breakfast with ten minutes to spare before the 10.30am cut-off point. The grand dining room was almost empty and smartly dressed waiters and waitresses were clearing the remaining plates and cutlery from the unoccupied tables. Harry had managed to talk one of the waitresses in to getting us some decent food, and we’d both ended up with Eggs Benedict and orange juice in front of us. Harry had changed into a white button up shirt and navy blue cut-offs, whilst I was wearing a simple oversized black jumper with denim shorts and some black leather ankle boots. We both looked surprisingly well turned out, considering we’d spent the majority of our morning playing under the covers.

By the time we’d finished breakfast, it was almost half 11. I could sense that the staff were anxious to begin setting the hall up for lunch, so we returned to our room to get our bags ready so that we could spend the final couple of hours exploring the grounds again.

“I don’t want to go back to work,” I sighed as we sat down in front of the country house lake.

Harry picked up a stone and skimmed it across the surface, and I looked at him with surprised eyes at his skilled throw.

“Nice,” I laughed, and he flashed me a smug grin.

“Don’t go then,” he shrugged, skimming another stone across the glimmering surface.

I looked at him and laughed. Even though the idea was entirely tempting, it wasn’t an option. I went to work to earn money and because I enjoyed my job. I was driven by success and the events industry that I worked in was highly competitive and I thrived from that; just how Harry thrived from performing. I picked up my own stone and tossed it in front of me. It landed with a loud splash and sank right to the bottom instantly, which had Harry laughing with smug amusement.

“Here,” he passed me another stone and took my wrist, “Flick it like this.”

He guided my hand and I released the stone. To my surprise, it bounced three times before sinking beneath the surface.

“See?” he laughed.

I tried it again on my own and failed miserably. 

“I don’t think I’m cut out for tossing things.”

I regretted the words as soon as they’d left my lips, and I didn’t even need to look at Harry to know that the cogs were whirring in his head.

“Oh I don’t know about that…”

I hit his arm playfully and he elbowed me gently in the side. I retaliated with another smack to his arm and he instantly tackled me to the grass below. He somehow managed to pin my hands above my head with his left hand whilst his right tickled and prodded my waist. I wriggled beneath him and kicked my legs; I felt like a child but I couldn’t help it. He brought out so many different sides to me that I didn’t realise even existed. This one happened to be in the form of a squealing girl.

“Harry, please,” I begged through laughter.

“Now that sounds familiar,” he smirked.

I groaned exhaustedly and his hand came to a halt as he looked down at me. His hips were resting firmly between my thighs and his eyes dropped between us, before he flicked them back up to mine with a devilish grin on his face.

“I know what you’re thinking,” I laughed.

He thrust his hips forwards and his lips came down on to mine for a quick kiss, before he moved his body from me and pulled me up.

“As much as I would love you right now, I’m completely spent,” he laughed.

I brushed my fingers through my hair as I pulled blades of grass from it, still trying to catch my breath from Harry’s tickling assault.

“C’mon,” he bumped my shoulder. “I reckon we can add at least three hours on to our journey if we go the long way around.”

“Do you not have to get back?” I asked.

He pulled his phone from his pocket and switched it off, before sliding it back in.

“Don’t know, don’t care.”

I looked up at him and smiled, and he flashed me one of his insanely charming crooked grins that made my heart jump into my mouth.

We sat there on the bank for a few more minutes, gazing out across the lake. Neither one of us spoke. Neither one of us needed to speak. It was just us. Right there in the moment. It was one of those moments that you never wanted to come from, and one that I would certainly remember for the rest of my life.