Chaper 2

I woke up feeling dirty. My skin felt as if it had a layer of grim and my my hair was in knots. The smell of the Alpha was strong, but I ignored it, not even bothering to scan the room for him. The night before I had decided I wouldn't indulge in theses fantasies. That I wouldn't play along with the idea he was my mate. When I was younger, all I wished for was my mate to come and rescue me from the Moonshine Pack. But now I'm stronger. I have gotten rid of my pack by persevering through their harsh treatment alone and I'm stronger now. I stood quietly from the bed and crept into the bathroom where I turned on the water in the shower. I stripped from my tattered clothes and stood under the water, embracing the burning feeling that ran across my skin. I scrubbed the dirt and blood from my skin with no mercy, trying to scrape away my past from my body. Thanks to my fast werewolf healing, my arm had closed up and there was only a fraction of the memory of the previous pain. Now my pack tattoo looked like a shattered moon, with scar tissue distorting the image. My skin burned under the too hot water, but I didn't stop scrubbing until it turned red and raw with no trace of my old pack on me. As I tried to run my fingers through my hair, I realized that there was no hope in untangling it. Over the years of poor care in my old pack, my hair had became ragged and tangled. Though I had tried to keep it decently kept, I realized it must go. I grabbed a razor form the cabinet and in short chops I cut my dark brown hair off. As I watched my hair fall to the ground, it reminded me of feathers from a fallen angel. Just like an fallen angel, I was nowhere near perfect. A knock on the door startled me and I sent a jagged cut running through my hair. "Are you in there?" a now too familiar voice asked. I nodded but realized that the Alpha couldn't see me. I opened the door a crack but no further and nodded. At the sight of me, the Alpha's lips twitched up into a crooked grin. "You look like an animal has malled you," he said with a low laugh, "why did you cut your hair?" I narrowed my eyes and I kept my mouth shut, pressing my lips together. "Here," he said with out missing a beat, passing me a pile of clean clothes that smelled like him, "put this on and then I can take you to a my barber." I took them, nodding in thanks before closing the door. He had given me a plain black shirt and pants along with women undergarments. Even though they were oversized, I was thankful for them, not wanting to put back on my rags from my pack. When I stepped out of the bathroom, his mouth parted and he took in a short hitching breath but I ignored it. He showed great kindness to me but I would not accept him as my mate. "Let's go get your hair cut," he said once he had recovered himself.

We arrived in front of a small shop and we got out. When we stepped through the door, the smell of hair products wafted over us and I took in a deep breath. "Jasper," a man said when he noticed the Alpha. "What a surprise to see you. I thought your next appointment was in a two weeks."

"It is," the Alpha replied, "but I have a little request. Are you free to cut some hair? She tried to do it but..."

The man laughed when he saw my haircut, "of course. Anything for you my friend." He waved me to a seat, "Now what is your name?" he asked me. I opened my mouth but no words came out. My face flushed but I couldn't say anything. Not a sound left my mouth. The man's eyes widened. "I'm so sorry," he said hurriedly, "I didn't know you were mute." I resisted a glare at the pity in his voice. I can speak. Or at least I could. Just I couldn't speak now. "Now," he said, muttering to himself, "what to do with that hair." He didn't take long cutting my hair. He just evened it out and made it look more controlled and professional. When he was done, my hair reminded me of the Alpha's. It was cut short on the sides with the top a little longer and combed back.

"Thank you," the Alpha said as we left.

"Come back anytime," the barber told me, "I can always trim or cut your hair."

When we got in the car, the Alpha pulled out a pad of paper and a pen from his pocket. "Here," he told me, passing it, "you can use this to communicate."

My eyes widened at the sight of a pad of paper and a pen in my hands. Though I had learned how to read and write as I child, I had forgotten most of it since my parents died and I had to work for the pack. The creamy pages felt nice between my fingers, too nice. It felt as if I didn't have the right to smudge the paper with the ink of the pen. I carefully took the cap off the pen and placed it to the paper and wrote the one thing I refused to forget how to spell. Luna.

"Luna?" he asked, "yes, you can be my luna."

My face heated at the idea of my demanding a position and shook my head. I was engaged to my old Alpha at a time. Alpha Grayson and I were to get married until my parents' betrayal and then it was called off. I shook my head before pointing to myself multiple times.

"You?" he asked, his eyebrows furrowing and I nodded. "'You mean that's your name?" I nodded again. He smiled. "I like that name," he said, "It fits you." My face heated but I gave a smile of my own in return. I didn't see how Luna fit me. I wasn't  I was anything but what I though a real Luna should be.