Chapter 8

My breaths came out in short puffs. With each strike, my breath came out strong, matching the rhythm.

"Again!" Jasper yelled when she felt my pace had slowed down. My fists pounded against leather in satisfying 'thwack' sound. "Kick!" I wheeled around, keeping my body centered as my leg came up and connected with the body bag. The chains rattled and sweat poured down my back. "Again!" I huffed, sending some of my bangs flapping out of my face.

When Jasper finally let me stop, I had done so many repetitions, I had lost count. I took a steaming shower, enjoying the water gush over my head. It had been a month since I had figured out Jasper was female. Since then we had been working on forming connections and trying to get to know each other. While Jasper taught me about the pack and how to fight, I taught her how to cook.

There was a knock on the bathroom door. "Y- yes?" I answered.

"Hey, once you're out, I need to talk to you," Jasper said through the locked bathroom door.

"Ok!" I replied as I turned off the water. I quickly dried off before realizing I had brought no new clothes to change into. I poked my head out of the bathroom before making a bed line for my dresser. I heard a clearing of a throat and turned around with my face red. Jasper sat on the bed.

She flopped onto her back. "I won't look," she said with one hand covering her face as she waved her other to usher me along. I could see pink cheeks blooming under her covered hand and I smiled.

I quickly pulled on my PJs, a oversized shirt and shorts, before tiptoeing over to the bed. I crawled on hands and knees across the mattress until I was hovering over Jasper. As if sensing the change in mood, Jasper lowered her hand from her face. Her eyes widened and her hand made a move to cover her face again but I caught it. "You said you wanted to talk," I asked sweetly.

"Y- yeah," Jasper replied and made a move to move out from under me. I followed her until she was up against the back board. Jasper's eyes were dark and she was breathing faster. Sensing that I was about to get myself into something I couldn't carry through, I flopped down into Jasper's lap. I curled around her like a cat and smiled up to her innocently. Jasper blinked, trying to get herself under control. "I got in contact with Alpha Greyson." My body tensed at the name buy I nodded. "He said he had nothing to say to an outsider on account of the pack business." Jasper paused, her face distorting as she thought. "Is- could..." I knew what she was going to ask before it even leafy her mouth. I put my hand on her arm.

I took a deep breath. "I'll see what I can do."

Jasper looked down at me. "Did you know the Alpha well? Was he kind to you? Of course he wasn't, we found you at the edge of the woods hanging onto the last strands of life!" Jasper ranted but I interrupted.

"It'll he fine, I just need to figure out Molly's origins." I smiled. "Simple!" Even though we both knew it wouldn't be that simple Jasper nodded.

"I'll be there with you. But that's all," Jasper said, "We can't bring guards."

I nodded at him and smiled, you're all I need.

That night, Jasper held be in her arms. When I woke up the next day, she greeted me with a smile.

We made breakfast together before heading to her work. I had grown used to not seeing trees when I woke up or hearing the woodland creatures go about their business. As I watched the skyline of the city zoom along from the car window, I couldn't help but wonder what the Moonshine Pack was doing. Had they finished border patrol? Who was scribing for Alpha Greyson during the meetings? Did they remember to bring him a coffee so he could pay attention? Who was cleaning the pack house? Did they remember to put up the winter curtains in the stairwells to control airflow?

When we arrived at Jasper's glass skyscraper, I looked up and wondered. Would Alpha Greyson ever see something as magnificent as this?

"Come," Jasper said as she waited with her hand out stretched. I suddenly froze. Had Alpha Greyson found his mate? Was it that girl who had stabbed me with a metal rod? Had he replaced me? I shook my head. No need to get all emotional, I had Jasper. I smiled before running to Jasper and flinging my arms around her. Her eyes widened but she returned the hug. "What has gotten into you all a sudden?" She asked with a chuckle.