Chapter 9

It didn't take long for Jasper's plan to take action. Alpha Grayson sent a respectful but curt response saying that we had four days to look at the pack's archive. Within those days there was to be strict security.

Jasper's deep voice interrupted my thoughts. I looked at him and crooked my head to the side. "Hmm?"

Jasper smiled, "what are you thinking about?"

Her eyes were soft as she looked at me but my immediate reply was, "nothing."

"It's going to be fine," Jasper reassured me, "it's going to be a quick trip. In and out. I'll be by your side the whole time." Realizing I still looked unconvinced Jasper added, "besides, if someone bothers you, you can always test out some of your new techniques on them. I know for one that they are effective." I cracked a smile and my heart filled with warmth. In the past weeks, Jasper has been dedicated to teaching me how to fight. Though my wolf had never manifested since the Molly incident, my human body had become significantly more fit.

We arrived at the Moonshine pack house too soon. My palms were sweaty. My eyes farted around, from one unwelcoming face to another. I bit my lip as I got out of the car. Jasper grabbed my hand and gave it a little squeeze. Jasper had worn a suit and tie for the occasion. As the murmuring crowd parted to reveal Alpha Grayson, my blood ran cold. I tensed, ready to flee. As Alpha Grayson approached, I couldn't help but remember the last time I saw him. This time he looked trim and proper. He no longer wore a hood and he wasn't obscured by the shadows. He held a tight smile on his face.

"Welcome," he said flatly as he spread his arms wide. "My pack and I were eager to meet you Jasper." My lips threatened to pull into a sneer but Jasper replied in a curt voice cut in.

"The pleasure is all mine, Grayson." There was a challenge to his voice; whether it was due to the polite reply mixed in with lack of the use of the title 'Alpha' of the tone of Jasper's voice, Grayson sneered. It was a small reaction, most would not have been able to catch it; but in my past, I knew that a storm was brewing.

With that, Alpha Grayson lead us into the pack house and to our rooms. Yes. Rooms. I'm not sure whether to be grateful or angry by this gesture. While Jasper and I shared the same room in the past, I hadn't necessarily had a choice in that matter. I looked at Jasper. Her face was neutral, flat, stone stone like. I knew she wasn't pleased. I gave her a little bump on the shoulder with mine and smiled. 'It's not so bad' I was hoping she interpreted my expression to be. She nodded and gave me a small smile before thanking Alpha Grayson. We dropped our stuff off in the rooms before following Alpha Grayson to the pack archives. The archives lived on the 'top floor' of the pack house. It was hot and musty there but I didn't mind. It was better than the attic.

Two guards stood by the door. Whether it was to keep others out or us in, I did not know. But I assumed it was the latter.

Jasper came to my side and gave my hand a little squeeze. I looked up and she smiled. I tugged my lips into a thin smile. "Come!" She said quietly, "the sooner we find out who Molly really is, the sooner we can leave."

I nodded. Yes. We're only here to track down Molly. Nothing else.

Jasper and I didn't even put a dent in the pack's archives that night. The Moonshine Pack has been around for hundreds of generations and just finding your way around the library was a journey. We gathered anything we could that had happened the past hundred years. We focused on the wolves that had been kicked out but Molly's name didn't show up one.

Jasper sighed and leaned back. She draped the back of her hand over her face. "Ahh...!" She said in exasperation, "I should have known 'Molly' would have gone by a pen name or something!" I looked down, my eyes flickering over the paper. The most recent expulsion was "Luna Foxwoods." The ink still seemed to glisten, as if it was still drying. My body seemed to go numb and everything seemed to go still.

Feeling Jasper's gaze on me, I quickly closed the records and fussed with the pages in a different book. The thick creamy paper drew my attention to the paper.
"The daughter of the moon goddess shall call forth in a new era of truth. This Luna will lead the pack without an Alpha. She will stand tall and bring forth the will of the moon."
Under the quote was a picture of a pure white she-wolf. Her head was tilted back as she howled under the blue tinted night sky.

Why was a children's story part of the pack's archive?