CHAPTER 1

Today was the day Zoe Benson had been anticipating(and dreading) since the start of her senior year of high school. She was packing up and saying goodbye to her hometown of New Orleans, and making the 38 hour drive to Portland State University, one of the many colleges she had gotten acceptance letters from. Zoe was definitely popular, but she was humble, and a lot of people admired her for that. She still went out with her friends, but she was dedicated to her studies too, which made her the perfect student AND perfect peer.

"Zoe sweetheart, you're going to be driving at dark if you don't get on the road now!" Her mother Cordelia shouted up the stairs. She zipped up her last suitcase and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She looked well put together on the outside, but on the outside, she was falling apart at the seams. She was close to her mothers, and it was going to be hard being away from them, but she was doing this for herself and the state of her future so she was going to have to stop being such a big baby and pull on her big girl panties. She fixed a piece of hair that had fallen out of place and she grabbed her belongings and struggled to get them down the stairs. When she was halfway down the narrow staircase, her other mother Misty came to her aid and she got all the heavy suitcases, surprising her for the millionth time with her unwavering strength.

"Aww honey you look so pretty, they're gonna adore you!" Her mother gushed as she embraced her tightly, tears beginning to soak her brunette colored hair. When she pulled back, the dirty blonde was in hysterics, and her first instinct was to console her crying mother, but she was pulled back by her best friend Cheryl, who just shook her head subtly. She looked away from her mother to the taller girl, who looked sad for once in her life.

"I really wish they had an applied psychology course at Tulane so you didn't have to go so far away." Her voice shook slightly, and she lifted her hand to wipe away the oncoming tears. She wished she didn't have to go so far away either, but she was secretly relieved that she was getting away from this hectic place and somewhere that didn't have so many unexpected surprises waiting for her.

"You should at least let me drive you." She offered one more time, and although her eyes were pleading, she knew she couldn't accept the offer that was being presented to her. She knew that if she chose to ride to college with Cordelia or Cheryl, that it would be hard for her to let them go when they had to leave, which would make her first week at the university hell, which is something she couldn't afford.

"Misty is taking me, it's okay. I'll call you as soon as I settle in okay?" She gripped her hands in hers and gave them a tight squeeze before she ran her finger over a single strand of her honey colored hair and then she stepped back, turning away so she didn't start crying.

"Ready to go kiddo?" Misty asked from the doorway and she nodded once, grabbing a few of the bags the older woman had left for her and she turned back to the emotional woman once more, finding it difficult to say goodbye to them.

"I love you both very much, I'll call/ videochat as soon as I'm able." She blew a kiss and they both mimicked grabbing it and holding it to their hearts. She turned back to her awaiting mother and together, they stepped out into the breezy air and walked the short distance to the car, not saying a word. Whenever they spent time together, this is typically how it went. Misty wasn't an emotional person, or really a talkative one at all, and she found herself to be okay with that. She loved a good conversation, but sometimes, she craved the quiet, and she was granted that when she was with her other mother. They loaded her things into the backseat and trunk, and before she knew it, they were buckled into their seats and on the road. She leaned her head against the seat and she watched as the town she used to love so much flew by her in a flurry of activity and blurred colors. She would miss it, and she would miss the people she had here, but this wasn't her future, she was going to find it at this university, and NOTHING was going to get in her way.