eight

i grimaced as i looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. i can't believe i've looked this shitty the entire day and no one was bothered to comment on it. i didn't have the energy to put makeup on this morning, so i looked like a goddamn zombie.

i walked out of the bathroom and almost collided with someone, but i managed to step back before i did. i looked up and found richard staring at me with a smirk on his lips. i was screwed.

"hey, anna." he said casually.

it took me a moment to analyze his words and come up with an answer. "hi... richard." i said slowly.

his smirk deepened. middle school me would be fucking weak right now. he took a step forward, i frowned and took a step back, only to realize the only thing behind me was a wall. i mentally rolled my eyes at the coincidence.

"it's such a shame you're with de jesús now..." he whispered and his finger trailed my jawline until it reached my bottom lip. "the things i could do to you-"

"camacho! windsor!"

richard made no move to get off me, so i had to push him off to see who was calling our names. my eyes widened.

"detention, both of you." the principal was staring at us angrily. she had her arms crossed over her chest and tapped her foot against the floor.

amazing. i was looking forward to going home to celebrate that neither richard nor joel had seen their emails, only to end up having detention because the principal thinks we were skipping class to make out on the hallways. i scoffed as i walked around richard so i could get to my class and begin to count the seconds to get home and cry with zabdiel.

holy shit, zabdiel was supposed to pick me up. i took out my phone and quickly shot him a text, telling him that i had detention and i would explain everything when i got home. i felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, but i ignored it because i was already walking into the classroom. i got to my seat and bit my lip, dreading my afternoon in detention thanks to richard.

the bell startled me and i dropped my precalculus book. that alone pissed me off and i didn't even know why. i took a deep breath and began to collect my things, but when i was about to bend down to pick my book up i noticed it wasn't on the floor anymore. a soft thud made me turn towards my desk. my book was sitting there. i looked up but everyone else was either packing their things or already out of the classroom. i furrowed my eyebrows until i noticed joel looking at me from the door. he walked out as soon as our eyes made contact. i shoved my things in my bag and ran out of the classroom, but i was only met with a sea of students. what the fuck just happened?

"there you are!" lauren yelled, even though she was only a couple of feet away from me. "i remembered you said math was your last class, but i couldn't remember for the life of me where the hell precalculus was."

i smiled. "can i know why you're so eager to find me?"

"richard waltzed into english class with the biggest smirk and told his friends he got detention because he was making out with you."

"what?" i shrieked. "that's- no! i didn't make out with him!"

she exhaled. "thank god. now that that's out of the way, wanna go to the mall? i got an email from victoria's secret, they're having a special! we could go to that new italian restaurant afterwards."

i bit my lip. "uh... i did get detention, though."

her eyes narrowed, no longer holding the excitement from seconds ago. "i thought you didn't make out with richard."

"and i didn't!" i blurted out. i noticed there were few students left and if i didn't hurry i would be late for detention, which would make me have even more detention. "he came onto me, pressed me against a wall and everything. it felt like one of those romance movies. the principal caught us before i could push him away and assumed the worst." i sighed as i finally made it to my locker and opened it. i looked at the time. "i better go. i don't need any more detention."

"goodbye, rebel!" she shouted after i closed my locker and walked away from her. my cheeks burnt up as i arrived to the classroom with the big detention sign on the door.