Stan

I broke out into a run. I needed to get out. It was too much. The doors of the Stark Tower opened wide as I kept up the pace, running through the streets of New York. People stared as I passed them, doing my best to not run into civilians as they went about their daily lives.

"Watch where you're going freak!" One Wall Street business man yelled at me.

"I'm sorry!" I gasped as I finally stopped and rested against a street lamp.

I looked up and noticed a quaint coffee shop nestled into the bustling city scape. Wanting a bit of serenity, I went in. The dark smell of freshly brewed coffee hit my nose. Taking a deep breath I smiled and collapsed into a chair by the window. I stared out into the street, my elbows on the table and my head in my hands.

I sighed and felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"Why so sad kiddo?" a voice broke through my thoughts.

I looked up to see an older man sitting across from me. His aviator sunglasses reflected the sunlight streaming through the window.

"Midlife crisis," I answered simply, hoping to get some sort of wisdom out the stranger.

"Had a few a those. Trust me you're going to have more," he answered with a smile.

"I want to make things better but I'm not sure I can. I've made so many mistakes and I don't think I can fix them," I ranted vaugely.

" Sarah. We all wish we could do more than we can do," he smiled, "And don't worry, if you don't figure out a way to fix it, I can."

He stood slowly as I stared at him in awe.

"Who are you?" I questioned him.

He smiled softly, " Let's just say I was there when you're brother was born."

I slowly processed his words as he left.

"Do you know who that was?" I asked a passing barista.

"Oh that's just Stan. He's a regular."

(My tribute to the amazing Stan Lee. Thank you for giving us the wonderful world we enjoy watching, reading, and writing about. We'll miss you dearly😭)