From the get go - 1

RHEA'S POV

         I watched out of the corner of my eye as she lines up during lunch, tray held lazily in her hand, smirk stretched out across her lips. Classic

"Come on, keep the line moving, kids." 

I stepped further along the line, accepting my food with a shaky smile and exiting the line. The lunch lady gave me a sympathetic look. So did everyone else, because everyone knew what happens next when both Rhea Neil and Casey Grayson are in the cafeteria at once. 

      I turn my back to her and tighten my grip on my lunch tray. The feeling of adrenaline rushes through me, grounds me and inhibits me from running away. Like it does every damn time. I don't know why I get like this. I don't know why I wait. Oh, but the fear will trickle in soon enough. It always does, always a moment too late.

   I do well to uphold my carefully crafted mask and feign obliviousness. I bite my lip and count down. I hear multiple gasps and feet shift.

3, 2, 1...

CRASH!

My tray hits the floor with a resounding clap. Two fists curl my collar and slam me into a wall. I let a small smile slip. The smile I get in return is anything but kind.

Casey sneers down at me.

"What do you think you're doing?" She spits, pressing me harder into the wall. I look beyond her; people skitter by, avoiding the wrath of Casey. They're smart.

"Buying lunch." I whisper. 

She rolls her eyes. I bite my tongue to keep from laughing.

"I know that, you dumb fuck. I'm talking about the stunt you pulled in band today. You think that's funny? Laughing, are you?" She growls, her eyes darkening. My blood feels cold. Oh, now she's actually mad, my brain unhelpfully supplies. I swallow thickly, all to familiar with what comes next. We've been through the motions. I squirm in her grasp.

"L-Look, I wasn't t-trying to call you out, you just p-played the sharp w-way to fl-flat, and-"

"I don't care what I played! I would have gotten an A if you hadn't opened your stupid mouth." She yelled, shoving me harder into the wall. I groaned at the impact and held my shoulder. I heard the bell ring, kids running to their classrooms. I was gonna be late again... no matter. I'm sure my impending black eye would explain it.

"What, that hurt? Are you hurting?" She asked incredulously, grabbing my wrist and jerking me towards her. She dug her fingers into my ribs, increasing pressure slowly. My breath hitches as I look into her eyes. An evil smile spreads across her lips, a creation dripping in venom. 

"Casey, please, stop-" I whisper, kicking my legs slightly from underneath me, the pain starting to burn. She stops just as the familiar prodding of tears prick at the corners of my eyes. She always does this, always knows just how to make me-

         Before I even knew what was happening, she punched my stomach, leaving to gasp for air. I felt panic begin to bubble inside me. She pushed me to the ground. I looked up at her wildly, my hands going out to protect me. She was heaving.

"Wait, C-Casey, just wait a s-second-"

"No, YOU WAIT A SECOND!" She screamed. "You know how much an A means to me! You know how much it means to my parents! You know how much I hate humiliation!!" She said, kicking my side each time her anger was refueled. I held back my sobs with my shaking hand. 

"I-I-I'm sorry, I-"

"No you're not, you sorry bitch." She crouched down to my level, taking a handful of my hair in her hands. I choked back a sob, covering my mouth. I hated it when she made me cry. 

"No, you love it." She sneered. I blinked. Did I say that out loud? I curl into myself as she brings back her other hand, to strike me, presumably. 

"No! No m-more, I'm sorry!" My voice cracks, turning my head the other way. I wait for one second, two seconds. I open my eyes and look at her, only to find her staring at me bitterly. Her voice softens, a thing that never happens. After she beats me up, she usually just leaves. This is different. 

"I wasn't going to hit you again, idiot." I take another shuddering break as she lets me go, and I fall back to the ground. I wipe my tears, scrubbing at my face furiously. She stands above me, looking somewhere between furious and regretful. I grab my bag and shakily stand up, leaning into the wall. I wipe my nose, pulling my hand away to find blood staining my shirt. I make a strangled sound at the back of my throat. Her head whips towards me in a scowl. My eyes widen as she swirls in my sight, and I trip in an attempt to get away. 

"I-It won't hap-happen again, I swear."

"You'd better hope it won't." And with that, she walked passed me, shoving my one last time into the wall.

The moment she left, I felt something inside me deflate. I press a hand to my burning cheek.

And if I started to smile while walking to the restroom, I certainly didn't acknowledge it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAHHH SO THATS THE FIRST CHAPTERRR

Tell me what you guys think, and if it overall made sense! I have some really good plans for this book hheheheh. The inspiration for this story comes from a weird place in me that I keep tucked away, so I thought I could let loose here lol. THANK Y'ALL ❤❤