Speech/Spur - 3

CASEY'S POV

I smiled unknowingly as I walked up to the school. I felt happy for no reason whatsoever. Try as hard as I might, which really wasn't that much, I couldn't get Rhea's small, fleeting smile out of my head. 

I stopped.

I can't believe all the things I've done to her. Why? Because I had to? That's a bad excuse. Because I wanted to?

Because I needed to.

I frowned and kept walking, feeling more and more disgusted with myself as I continued on to my first class; math. I sighed. Math was... not my strong suit.

"Heyyy dude!" A.J slurred. I looked up at her and pulled on a smirk, feigning indifference.

"What the hell happened to you?" I laughed, steadying her. She pointed to a balloon in her hands.

"I'm on helium!!" She hacked. I furrowed my brow.

"Wha- A.J, helium doesn't get you..." I waved my hands around her. "High."

She turned serious. "I know, I'm just pretending it does because I don't have a life."  She turned bubbly again and left the room dancing. I wonder where she would end up in an hour. I laughed to myself and took a seat. The class commenced with the teacher speaking of things I simply didn't care about. 

That's when Rhea walked in. Late. She was never  late for class. She walked in with the same bruise on her cheek and the same fear in her eye. I swallowed. She looked horrible.

The teacher of course had no idea why. He instructed her to sit down, and of course, the only empty seat was next to me. We both seemed to notice that at the same time, and she visibly stiffened. I almost felt bad for her.

Almost.

I felt that same, ugly, gnawing, almost possessive feeling grow in my stomach. I feel a slow grin stretch across my lips, and she slowly made her way over to my side. She didn't look at me, but I could see her hands shaking. I looked at her, waiting for her to look back so I could see the fear in her eyes. But she didn't. She was paralyzed with a crazed look in her eyes. I frowned and looked back to the front when the teacher called out my name. 

"What?"

"Are you listening? I said you and Rhea and partners for your project this semester. I expect you to work well together." He said blankly, moving on to the next pair. 

And if I felt my blood run cold, or a feeling of helplessness for Rhea, I certainly didn't acknowledge it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RHEA's POV

         I bawled into Jackie's shoulder. He rubbed my back soothingly, careful not to touch the scars on my back. Also a present from Casey. 

I stepped back and rubbed my eyes. "I don't wanna be her partner, Jackie." 

He sighed. "I know. But, I mean, now you might get to know her better?" He offered, more of a question. I grunted. "Well, excuse me, but I'm in no mood to get beat up more than once every single day just for a stupid math project."

Jackie's mouth closed with an audible 'click'.

I felt a hand on my back and jerked around. Casey looked at me with a devilish grin before slamming me into the lockers. I yelped and arched my back, the lock jamming my spine. I felt panic flare anew. 

"Wha- AH!"

"Hey, partner."

I squirmed in her grasp, looking over to Jackie for help. He snapped to life and stuttered terribly.