Pasta e Fagioli

Families frolic all around the park as Troian sits on a bench looking out at them. She checks her phone multiple times while sitting, exhaling deeply as the time passes by.

Brandon slowly walks toward her from behind the bench. He stops and watches her for a minute before getting her attention.

"Hey!" He chuckles as she's startled out of her day dream. She jumps up off the bench to greet him, catching her breath. 

"Hey. I brought the phone. She's been getting texts non-stop. I had to turn it off. She's still as popular as I remember." She rolls her eyes as she holds the phone out to him. Brandon ignores it as he goes over to the bench and sits. He pats the seat next to him and Troian reluctantly sits.

He regards her and speaks, "That's right. You both went to the culinary institute in Louisiana." Troian's eyes widen, "Did she tell you?" 

 "Nah I stalked you online." He deadpans.

"What, just because I had Aryen's phone?" she frets. "No. Because you're reviewing our restaurant." She turns sharply to him, "Who told you that?" 

Brandon inspects his nails nonchalantly and Troian glares at him for several seconds. Brandon sighs dramatically, "Alright. Trent got reviewed and then Trent heard from Josh who heard from Sergio who heard from Patrick who heard from Greg. That we were next on the list." 

Troian shoots him a look, "My Greg. My assistant, Greg?" Brandon chuckles to himself, " Yea. Gay guys are terrible gossips." 

Troian scoffs, "Oh he is so fired." "Boo. You homophobe." He says mockingly before pulling out his own phone and scrolling through instagram to find Troian's profile.

Troian gasps putting her hand on her chest taking his accusation seriously, "What? No! I'm gay. Ask Aryen."

Brandon puts down his phone and beams like he's recieved the juiciest secret. "Really? You and her?" He puts up bunny ears and crosses them together miming a sexual act. Troian grabs his hands pushing them down in embarassment.  She looks around hoping no one saw.

"No. Of course not!" She whispers, harshly

Flashback- Culinary School

Troian stands over a pot in a barely lit empty classroom. She takes her spoon and tastes her food. Her face is disgusted as she slams the spoon back into the pot.

"Damn it!"

She sighs and peers down at the spices in front of her. She doesn't see Aryen leaning casually in the door way watching her work.

She adds multiple ingredients and tastes it again. She throws the spoon across the room in anger before sitting on the stool beside her, her head in her hands.

Aryen walks up and puts a hand on her shoulder. Troian startles, "What the hell!" She glares at her when she realizes who it is. Aryen smiles gently and sits down on the stool next to her not saying anything.

'What are you doing here?" Troian signs after several minutes of silence. Aryen grins secretly loving that someone else here knows ASL. She shakes her head and taps her ear, chuckling.

"I came to match a master chef at work." Troian groans as she gazes over the mess she's made in the student kitchen and hangs her head. "Yea. Right."

Aryen lifts Troian's chin up forcing her to look at her as she speaks, "What are you working on?" Troian studies her gentle eyes and clears her throat turning towards her failed food, "The freaking sauce! I can't figure it out!" she crosses her arms and pouts as Aryen observes her curiously. "Have you tried keeping the spoon in the pot?" She jokes.

Troian playfully slaps her arm, "Thanks, smart ass. Where'd you get your recipe?" Aryen drums casually on the table thinking.

"It's my grandma's SECRET recipe, remember? She puts it in everything. Spaghetti, gravy, even gumbo. You haven't lived until you've tried my sauce in authentic Nawlins gumbo. It's better than sex." She hums.

Troian mumbles to herself, "Not sex with me?" "What was that?" Troian coughs and hides her face behind her hands. "I said so you're from New Orleans?" Aryen squints at her skeptically. "Mmhmm. You?"

Troian grins, "No I'm not from New Orleans." Aryen stifles a laugh and grins, "Ha. Funny. Where are you from?"

Troian grins back at her wistfully, "Texas. Grew up on a ranch with a giant family always dreaming about coming here to cook." 

Aryen nods her head satisfied. "And now you're ruining sauce." Aryen motions to the sauce boiling over and burning. Troian jumps over to it as Aryen sits giggling. 

"You could help you know."Troian suggests urgently.

Aryen sticks her tongue out. "I know." Troian flips her off as she tries to get a handle on her sauce. Aryen watches before finally feeling sorry for her, getting up she gets out a new pot and utensils and a lot of ingredients. Troian stands off to the side watching her gather everything together.

Aryen eyes her and shakes her head. She grabs her wrist and pulls her next to her.

They start working together. Smiling and laughing as they spread ingredients and stir their mixture. Troian drops a stirring spoon and they both bend down to pick it up. Their hand's touch and they look into each other's eyes.

Present Day

Troian is telling Brandon everything as she gazes at the families in the park. 

"We talked about everything that night. Her accident. My brother's deafness. Me coming out to my mom. Her reluctance to move away from her's. Literally everything." 

Brandon is leaning casually on his arm, totally engrossed in the story Troian is telling. "Gross. That's so cliche. Why didn't you get married then?"

Troian rolls her eyes and growls, "She got a call from her date." Brandon sits up suddenly, "Yikes." Troian grimaces, "Yea so she ditched me to be with her."

Brandon shakes his head, "Aryen is such an idiot." Troian laughs humorlessly, "Your words." She sniffs and gets up from the bench, officially done with this conversation. Hating the fact that Brandon has brought up these old memories.

She holds out Aryen's phone for him to take again, "Anyway, here's her phone. You don't have to mention that I had it." Brandon peers at it in her hand then observes Troian, silently. "No I think you should keep it." He gets up from the bench and starts walking away.

"Wait. What?" Brandon shrugs without stopping. "Give it to her whenever you get the chance. You know where she'll be."