Chapter 18: The Rite

She left the room, notepad in hand, decending once more to the cellar. This time, her locket began to glow a vibrate shade of red. Out from it came a key, seemingly used here since the locket reacted here. "Another key that I'm guessing is a secret in my father's office." she told herself, and off she went, back to the vintage styled cave her father hides in. She attempted all the locked drawers are cabinets, wedge-ing the key into the many keyholes as deep as she could get it, hoping that it would open, but to no avail.

"If it isn't here, then where else is locked?" She wondered, suddenly having the thought of the room beside her fathers office. Determined, she left the office and stood in front of the large stone doors, looming above her as if they themselves were demons. She tried to locate a keyhole, for the key was miniscule compared to the doors. At the corner of her eye, she spotted a small, camouflaged hole in the wall. The only issue was that it was too high for her to reach.

She looked around, trying to find something she could climb on to get up there. "Voila! I've got it!" She exclaimed, as she ran back into her father's office and pushed out several stable cabinets. She positioned them as if they were steps and, slowly, hopped onto them, in hopes not to loose her balance and break a bone. Soon enough she got to the keyhole and placed the key into it. "Why didn't Alastor open this himself if he once had the key?" She wondered. Off the cabinet tops she hopped, and into the forbidden area she went.

"Seryla will never forgive me..." she sighed, before walking into the ominous new area. "Hello?" her voice echoed, only to hear the response of the stone doors slamming behind her. Scared, she turned behind and attempted to get out, but to no avail. The only thing she could use to see outside was a tiny crack in the stone door, revealing to her that outside the stone door, everything was collapsing and falling into an abyss below. (Y/n) ran away from the entrance and found herself two paths to choose from.

She picked the left path, in hopes to find something that could help her escape, running on the cobblestone floors. (Y/n) then encountered a golden chest, obviously sealed. "Looks like I need to find another key..." she sighed, snooping around, hoping she could find cracks in the wall to stick her hand in and hopefully pull out the key. The locket, once again, glowed red, and ruby platfoms appeared, leading upwards.

She hopped onto them, careful for the platforms were rather fare apart, always judging her distance before she made a leap to not get injured. Step by step, platform by platform, she slowly managed to reach the top of the room, where each of the four corners seemed to have a button to press. A large platform was formed, allowing (Y/n) to access the four sides. The four buttons seemed to have a symbol on it, which made (y/n) wonder if she had to press it in a particular order.

Suddenly, she heard whispers, "for every villain, comes a hero, and for every demon, there's and angel." (Y/n) pondered on this saying, assuming it was the code for the buttons. But the buttons had no symbol of villains, heroes, demons, or angels on them. Only the symbols with the colours: A Blue Eye, A White Broken Heart, A Red Ace and a (f/c) flame. "With every villain comes a hero..." she repeated, trying to figure out what it means. "Alastor always says that Gideon and Seryla are out to get me... Seryla has blue eyes, but does Gideon have a broken heart?"

She pressed the Blue Eye and the Shattered White Heart before tapping the Red Ace and the (f/c) flame. She then heard a click, but when she glanced down, the chest was still sealed. "Um... Every demon there's an angel... right?" She then pressed the white and red, then the blue and (f/c), and out sounded a second click. She glanced once again and she saw a stone panel open up below. Quickly, she hopped on down to collect the key and opened the golden chest, revealing a scroll. On it was written:

The Rite Contract of: Gideon and Seryla

By signing this contract, you offer your soul to one of the many Prince and Princesses of Hell itself, Calling upon the Demons to help you in exchange for you very existence. You acknowledge that these demons have the right to remain as long as a part of your soul and this contract lives on, unless the Rite is burnt.

Sign here

And there, neatly signed, were both her Parent's signatures on that scroll. "So, those two demons were the snakes after all." She scoffed. She took the scroll with her and exited the left portion of the room, tearing away the scroll's wooden parts so that she could fold the Rite and put it into her pocket. She then entered the right side of the forbidden area, only to find a bunch of holding chambers filled with transparent florescent fluid. In those chambers held deceased bodied, chained and prevented from floating upward.

(Y/n) walked down the chambers of dead bodies, until she recognised two familiar faces. "Mom... Dad..." she muttered, as their bodies we chained, motionless, in the chambers. Her father's preserved body still having the raw marks of the rope around his neck, whereas her mother had bruises and open wounds around her body. The sight of this terrified poor (y/n), so much so that she was frozen on the spot, hands shaking and body shivering. All she could think of in her mind now was "Gideon and Seryla were the Liars..."