06: A Not So Silent and Merry Walk

The commotion that had sprouted from the little chaos caused by 'you know who' had died down a little and Ebose decided to go ahead with the next set of activities. Although she knew the parents wont be coming along for the door to door visitation but she could do it without them, she did not want Christmas to be all bad.

"Hey," her voice came out as a whisper and she had to clear it to get the attention of the young people who still sat in the sitting room even after the movie had ended. The little children ran around the sitting room in an attempt to rid themselves of the brewed boredom that had come to stay already.

"Hey," this time, her voice was loud and sharp enough to get the attention of all, they, including the youngest persons, all turned towards the direction where she stood. Slowly but carefully, she marched on with her talk.

"So we are going ahead with the next activity and that is to visit some houses around here and give them a signed card." she forced a smile up her face as they contemplated whether or not to go with her idea.

"Alright," Eghosa was the first to peak up as she got off the chair she was seating on to and beside her sister. She was grateful she had someone like her who could sense the pleading in her voice. Soon enough the rest followed like they were waiting for a scapegoat or a leader to lead the way. Either way, Ebose was glad but not so much since Asike was still among those in the house.

She looked towards the stairs and the thought of inviting the elder ones on the little voyage crossed her mind but she feared greatly what they would do to her as she opened her mouth to speak. One thing she was sure to get from her Mother was a resounding slap, so loud Jesus would come down to earth to beg her Mother. She wanted to avoid that and it was best for the children to go out and do this specifically with themselves alone. She hurried to the study room to get the bag of cards that would be shared to the houses they visited. It was ten in number and each one was decorated in white and red with glitters beautifying it and the words 'From Us, to the Coolest Family' grazed the inner page of the cards. She hurried back down to meet everyone who was to partake of the event outside the house awaiting her, even the smallest children bounced around happily, they, unlike the older ones looked forward to the activity.

"Ose,"she called out to the eight year old, " you will hold this and give one card to the person who opens the door we knock on, alright?" the girl nodded and struggled to keep the back out of the hands of her youngest cousin who seemed jealous not to have gotten something to hold.

"Aunchi Booboo," she looked at Ebose with very sad eyes that demanded where what she hers was. Ebose grunted silently because she had not prepared to give Chetachi something to hold at all.

"Here take this," it was Asike who came to the rescue as he handed to Chi his phone to hold. She would have been grateful if it was someone else but she made it a point to ignore his gesture of aid.

Goodluck getting that back, she stepped to the front of everyone outside and gave a brief and detailed talk on how they would go about the walk, what houses they would go to and with that they ventured on what Eboseremen called 'The Christmas Walk.'

She appointed Efosa to be the one to knock on the house that belonged to the Oluruntobis. Because houses in the area raised no fence, they were able to all walk, in a disorderly, shameful to Ebose manner, into the compound. The door was answered by the head of the family and his big tummy protruded close to the face of Ose as she gave out the card with a smile.

"Merry Christmas little one," the man smiled down at Ose and then smiled at all of them.

"Are you Father Christmas?" Asike smiled at the man who seemed to take the question as a joke and then squinted his eye at the boy.